Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shifting problems 6M Transmission 3rd Gear --- HELP!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifting problems 6M Transmission 3rd Gear --- HELP!!!!

I will first give some insight to the mods done to my Jeep... I currently have a 4" lift along with 5.13 gears, I also have a Detroit True Lock locker installed in the rear.

Here is my problem...

When I get going and through the gears I always seem to get hung up on third gear, clutch fully depressed and and it grinds before going into gear. Also I can get it into 3rd by applying steady pressure on the gear shift lever (not too much), with the clutch in it will eventually feel like it catches and slide into gear, but it takes a while it seems. I have never had this much difficulty with one singe gear. Could it be the locker causing this problem, Ive had it installes for almost 8k miles.

If anyone would possibly take the time to help that would be great. Trying to save a trip to the dealer.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Detroit TruTrac? It's a limited slip, not a full locker, and should have no effect at all with what you are describing. Sounds like your transmission to me.

I am curious if it happens all the time, or just in certain circumstances. Like if the engine is off and you push in the clutch, is it still hard to get into third? Or is it only when you are moving? Or only at a certain speed? (whatever speeds you normally shift into 3rd).

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-13-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

It's the syncro...I got my 1st gear replaced under warranty because it was tough to get in to. When they replaced it and put it back together there was grinding going into 1st so it was torn down again and replaced for a second time. All is good now but I think my 2nd gear is going to go cause its a little clunky when it's cold but smooths out once it warms up.

Sucky part is you have to rebuild the transmission and it takes a full day to do it

To be honest, you really dont need to use the clutch at all when going into 3rd, hell if you're good enough you never have to use the clutch unless you're in 1st gear. If you rev the engine high enough it'll slide right in as you said. I shift this way in my straight box truck and you put less wear on the clutch doing this

Last edited by GatorLCA; 01-13-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Never heard of syncros, how they work?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14273_147.htm
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Concern

I guess my biggest concern is the unknowning of wether my warrany is still in place due to my mods to the jeep. Sounds like if it is the syncros then the dealer may be the place to go... if i don't have to pay outta my pocket.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2nd has been clunky when cold since i bought mine! But when warm its fine
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GR8JK
I guess my biggest concern is the unknowning of wether my warrany is still in place due to my mods to the jeep. Sounds like if it is the syncros then the dealer may be the place to go... if i don't have to pay outta my pocket.
Try your dealer. If they say no, try another dealer. And another. And remember that the burden is on them. They have to prove that your mods caused the damage. Go to the manager, dealership owner, whoever, and have them call in the chrysler rep if needed.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

The dealer would have to prove that your mods caused the issue in your syncro. It's a common problem with these transmissions and should be covered. Worst thing they are going to say is no.

Dont let them tell you its a clutch issue cause thats the first thing they'll say and clutches arent covered

Quick Reply: Shifting problems 6M Transmission 3rd Gear --- HELP!!!!