Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shortest 3" lift system?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortest 3" lift system?

I know, what do you mean shortest? most people want to go bigger. Ive been down that road several times. 35's will be plenty for what I do. and if not, some new higher clearance fenders and a 1" body lift are cheap enough to shoe horn 37's or 38's in on down that endless modifying road.

Since real world numbers go out the door when the amount of lift is stamped on the systems box cause of all the variables like 2 door or 4 door, HD or MD springs.

I was wondering if the masses on here have a consensus on which manufactures 3" lift system. And when I say system I mean complete with track bars or quality relocation brackets, control arms brake lines, coils etc... Is the shortest 3" for a 2 door JK.

I figure some of you guys and gals have probably wheeled and parked next to each other and have friends that have different systems than you.

I want quality. So this 3" system would need to come from a reputable manufacture like Teraflex, Currie, Clayton, Full traction, Superlift etc..

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I have seen I think BDS looks to be the shortest and Teraflex seems to be the tallest. BDS is a great suspension and they have lifetime warranty on parts. Price is right to Personally I am going Tera 3"
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

clayton 3.5 just change the spring and you can go to 37s
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

I have the BDS 3" lift. I put on an adjustable front trackbar and used their rear drop braket in the back. The drop brackets (for the trackbars) that come with the kit mount to the frame, instead of to the axle where many have experienced issues of breaking the factory weld. The BDS 3" lift I think is the shortest 3" kit. I gained EXACTLY 3" with the kit. Most companies go over 3" even though that is the advertised height. If you don't want more than 3", I would say the BDS kit is the way to go. Given the fact that you only get 3" and no more, it also helps the life expectancy of your driveshafts. I have been running my stock driveshafts now for about 10K miles since the lift was installed.

I have added a 1" BL, and if I go to 37's, I can swap springs to the BDS 4" springs down the road.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
from what I have seen I think BDS looks to be the shortest and Teraflex seems to be the tallest. BDS is a great suspension and they have lifetime warranty on parts. Price is right to Personally I am going Tera 3"
BDS is not really what I am looking for. However it does look short in the pics Ive seen.
I want a complete system with at least a front track bar and control arms and brake lines. Not really wanting to piece a kit together to make a complete system.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

fair enough, but keep in mind you could add some LCA and adj tracs and still come out cheaper... just a thought
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by john531
clayton 3.5 just change the spring and you can go to 37s
Is your jk a 2 door? Was the claimed lift hight pretty close to the 3.5 advertised?
I really like the looks of these systems.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
I have the BDS 3" lift. I put on an adjustable front trackbar and used their rear drop braket in the back. The drop brackets (for the trackbars) that come with the kit mount to the frame, instead of to the axle where many have experienced issues of breaking the factory weld. The BDS 3" lift I think is the shortest 3" kit. I gained EXACTLY 3" with the kit. Most companies go over 3" even though that is the advertised height. If you don't want more than 3", I would say the BDS kit is the way to go. Given the fact that you only get 3" and no more, it also helps the life expectancy of your driveshafts. I have been running my stock driveshafts now for about 10K miles since the lift was installed.

I have added a 1" BL, and if I go to 37's, I can swap springs to the BDS 4" springs down the road.
I don't mind a bit more than 3". But I don't want upwards of 5" in front like I keep hearing with some systems out there. My reasoning is more in line with keeping a lower center of gravity and not having to piece meal a kit with other parts to make it complete. I plan on replacing my drive shafts when I install the lift.

Thanks for the reply
Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi

you know everyone will just reccomend the lift they have. I like my tera 3"... but it gave me like 5" front and 4.25 rear I think. It is big. How is your budget? You could get a teraflex flex arm set, and OME LT shocks and HD springs. That would give you 3". Add some adj. track arms, extended brake lines and bumpstops, and some coil retainers and extended links. Call it done. Seems like it would be expensive that way. lol.

Maybe if you really like teraflex you could get them to sell you the 3" system with the flex arms and adj. track arms. but swap out the springs for the ones from the 2.5" kit. That would give you 3" oflift. but also be a full system.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by REVERUP
I don't mind a bit more than 3". But I don't want upwards of 5" in front like I keep hearing with some systems out there. My reasoning is more in line with keeping a lower center of gravity and not having to piece meal a kit with other parts to make it complete. I plan on replacing my drive shafts when I install the lift.

Thanks for the reply
Full-Traction's measurements are pretty accurate. If they say 3" then that is what you will get. They also make some great control arms, track bars, and frame mounted drop brackets for the suspension. Here is a link to their ultimate kit. http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...?prod=FTS-7133

Quick Reply: Shortest 3" lift system?