Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Situation Duratrac

Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Situation Duratrac

First off. I love this forum. very helpful and the people here seem great (famous last words).

Here is the situations I am running the stock JK 17"s and I really like them but I would like to upgrade the tires. I drive 30 miles each way to work and my off-roading consist of a couple of dirt roads when I head to the farm every month. Also, the winters can be harsh in Maryland we had 82 " 2 years ago. With all of that being said 90% of my driving is highway so comfort and power at 70 mph is my concern. If you can answer any of the below questions I would really appreciate it.

Do you agree with the Duratrac decision (quiet enough for highway driving)?

Should I expect any vibrations in my car or steering wheel shimmy/shake with the duratracs?

what size ( 255 75 17 or 285 70 17 )? I would like to upgrade for the size for esthetics do you think I would lose power. If so how bad?

Suggestions?

Again thank you for all of your help
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are very quiet, I can't even tell them from the factory tires. There should be no shakes or shimmies at all. Bigger the better in my opinion, go with whatever you can fit because eventually you'll want bigger if you don't.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search for duratracs on here and you'll get a lot of rave reviews. Personally I love mine. I went to 33" and the loss was noticeable, but not too bad. I just finished a trip that was 6 hours each way at 80+ mph most of the way without any complaints. They did fantastic in the snow i found too. Granted I do have 4.10s and a superchips programmer.

Either size you mentioned will be fine I'm sure. The 275/55/17 is the same as the stock rubi tire I think, so it'd be the same.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark in Va
I'm running 315/70r17 DuraTracs on Moabs. They balanced well and I have no problems at all with shimmy when I commute about 45 miles. I can't say they are totally quiet but they aren't that bad. Haven't had the top down yet though. So far, they have done well in the snow, excellent in the rain and surprisingly well off road.
As far as power is concerned, I have an auto with 4:10's and I lost overdrive on hills and windy days. Other than that I don't think I could be happier.
If you don't mind. What is the actual height of your 315/70r17's?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
I stopped reading when you said CAR.. my mind went blank, only to be thinking of the poor kitten that just died
It's ok... nobody likes kittens anyway... they're better off dead.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

I stopped reading when you said CAR.. my mind went blank, only to be thinking of the poor kitten that just died
After a moment of silence for the kitten...

285/70/R17 Duratrac
Did not notice any power loss with stock 4.10 gears.
Much quieter than the stock BFG KMs were.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Glad I didn't say that.. there might be some cat lovers on here
Oh... in that case then, let's make the topic of dead cats more comical

Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Cause I said car! LOL, had no idea some of you jeep guys could be so sensitive.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Just a forum Joke...
True, oh so true. The joke has more of a life of it's own. So anytime I see mention of car (or if someone i already talking about dead cats) I can't help but jump in.

Nothing personal.

Since I helped de-rail this conversation, here is something to put it back on track...

Do the Duratracs. You will love them. And go BIG. I bought the 315/75R16 and have had ZERO regrets
Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my duratracs! They are fantastic for the highway, winter wheeling, and they are surprisingly good in the mud too.

Quick Reply: Situation Duratrac