Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smitty XRC Arrrggghhh

Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I'm so sorry to hear that! We're going to install ours and see how it goes...could be just like cars...sometimes you get a lemon, doesn't necessarily mean they all are lemons...seems a lot of people who have them have not experienced any problems so we have to cross our collective fingers and hope you took the lemon for the team and the law of averages are with the rest of us....

Thanks for the update and hope to hear something more positive next week!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Man I'm so sorry to hear that! We're going to install ours and see how it goes...could be just like cars...sometimes you get a lemon, doesn't necessarily mean they all are lemons...seems a lot of people who have them have not experienced any problems so we have to cross our collective fingers and hope you took the lemon for the team and the law of averages are with the rest of us....

Thanks for the update and hope to hear something more positive next week!
I totally agree. There are many people who are very very happy with this bumper. That is why I am having so much trouble deciding whether to keep it or not!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are not the only one.....I had to do this when I went wheelin'. I used a bungee cord attached to the handle and hooked to the bottom of the bumper. you can barely see it in the pic. I think the little rubber bushing that they supply is not thick enough to keep it tight. I am going to try and readjust the bolts on the post with the weight of the tire on. When I installed it, the tire was not on. Just maby that might do the trick....not sure though. But I agree there should be a better way to lock that in. For the money I would rather get a latch custom made or get a thicker rubber bushing on the latch than spend over 1200 for a bumper. I bought this for the price and looks. It really doesnt look bad and love the angles the front and rear have. Curious to see if they come up with a resolution.

Last edited by kd5zwf; 07-08-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kd5zwf
You are not the only one.....I had to do this when I went wheelin'. I used a bungee cord attached to the handle and hooked to the bottom of the bumper. you can barely see it in the pic. I think the little rubber bushing that they supply is not thick enough to keep it tight. I am going to try and readjust the bolts on the post with the weight of the tire on. When I installed it, the tire was not on. Just maby that might do the trick....not sure though. But I agree there should be a better way to lock that in. For the money I would rather get a latch custom made or get a thicker rubber bushing on the latch than spend over 1200 for a bumper. I bought this for the price and looks. It really doesnt look bad and love the angles the front and rear have. Curious to see if they come up with a resolution.
You know, everyone having problems seems to have the new version of this bumper. I wonder what else is different besides just the handle. I cannot recall one issue anyone had with the older version.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
Good to hear they are helping you out. I just spoke to them and they said my issue of the latch not lining up can be fixed by tightening the bolts on the hinge pivot sleeve.

Unfortunately I can't go try this until the wife gets home from work. She didn't want to drive it last week, but now that the new bumpers are on my jeep is MIA!
Update,

Tightening the bolts did not fix my latch not lining up. Smittybilt is sending out some spacers for the hinge pivot. They told me this will fix the problem.

Last edited by backwoodjk; 07-09-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
Update,

Tightening the bolts did not fix my latch not lining up. Smittybilt is sending out some spacers for the hinge pivot. They told me this will fix the problem.

On the positive side, I have not had the handle pop open or the tire carrier pop open.

I will update again as soon as I get the spacer installed.
If the spacers are for in between the rubber bushing looking thing on the handle mechanism than that might work. I was going to try that or find a bigger rubber piece so it would be a tighter fit when I turn the handle.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, sorry about all the problems. I was looking at that as a possible solution for my jeep, but will have to pass now. I think you would be better off going with a different bumper.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kd5zwf
If the spacers are for in between the rubber bushing looking thing on the handle mechanism than that might work. I was going to try that or find a bigger rubber piece so it would be a tighter fit when I turn the handle.
I had the same prob with mine {been on for about 2 weeks} I went to 4 wheel parts and had that bushing on the locking handle replace with a poly bushing from a 9000 series shock from a toyota. Now the handle dont move at all also I took the tire off closed the carrier loosened the hinge bolt the got them tight again. Now it clicks solid and slides right in the hole without lifting up Now if I can just solve the rattle at the hinge
Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richs07
I had the same prob with mine {been on for about 2 weeks} I went to 4 wheel parts and had that bushing on the locking handle replace with a poly bushing from a 9000 series shock from a toyota. Now the handle dont move at all also I took the tire off closed the carrier loosened the hinge bolt the got them tight again. Now it clicks solid and slides right in the hole without lifting up Now if I can just solve the rattle at the hinge
I will have to give something like that a try......just what I was thinking
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dadgummit
You know, everyone having problems seems to have the new version of this bumper. I wonder what else is different besides just the handle. I cannot recall one issue anyone had with the older version.
Update
You might be on to something! We tried to install the tire carrier (now that they sent some of the missing parts) only to discover it doesn't line up and not close. I'll post some pics in a few to show the issue. AND we are still missing hardware...pretty frustrating.

I think the new design (actually is a new cheaper assembly plant) has issues. Now I have to call them again tomorrow and tell them the carrier doesn't match up.

More lemons!!!

Quick Reply: Smitty XRC Arrrggghhh