Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So which front drive shaft should I buy?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a local shop it usually is just as good, and made just for your vehicle for a fraction of the price of the other guys. I would recomend some place local over a national company.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Several driveline shops around town. going from A OME 2.5 lift to a Full Track long arm kit.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got the JE Reel 1350's. I don't think you can go wrong with either Reel or Tom Woods. A good local shop should be OK too. Anthing to get rid of the stock POS. Whoever made the decision to put the stock drivesahfts in should be tarred and feathered. This is money we shouldn't have to spend.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the stock shafts are supposed to be smother opperating at highway speeds on a stock jeep. If that is the case. Then, they were just appealing to the average buyer that wants it to run smooth and carlike.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Chuck 45, How is the ride on the hwy? Was there much change after you replaced the stock drive's?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hammerman
Thanks Chuck 45, How is the ride on the hwy? Was there much change after you replaced the stock drive's?
I am very impressed with how smooth a stock JK is on the highway. Mine is not quite as smooth as that and it is probably a combination of things; the lift, the 35's, the 5,13's and the 1350's. It is still good and quite comfortable at 75. My caster and pinion angle had been set for stock driveshafts. I got the 1350;s but since the gears where going in in a week and they would have to be dropped to install the gears I figured I'd have both done at once. So as a result I never got to drive it with the 5.13's and stock driveshafts. It was a little rougher because aftermarket driveshafts need a different caster and pinion angle. Once I set them things smoothed out and I'm happy with what I have. Whatever decrease in smoothness I have is a price I happily pay for the increased abilities and reliability off road.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
I am very impressed with how smooth a stock JK is on the highway. Mine is not quite as smooth as that and it is probably a combination of things; the lift, the 35's, the 5,13's and the 1350's. It is still good and quite comfortable at 75. My caster and pinion angle had been set for stock driveshafts. I got the 1350;s but since the gears where going in in a week and they would have to be dropped to install the gears I figured I'd have both done at once. So as a result I never got to drive it with the 5.13's and stock driveshafts. It was a little rougher because aftermarket driveshafts need a different caster and pinion angle. Once I set them things smoothed out and I'm happy with what I have. Whatever decrease in smoothness I have is a price I happily pay for the increased abilities and reliability off road.
Is your front still hitting the trans pan with the new 1350's?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by njjeepthing
Is your front still hitting the trans pan with the new 1350's?
No, the 1350's (1310 too) are a lot smaller than the stock DS at the contact point. However my upgrade after the gears and 1350 where RockHard engine and tranny and transfer case skids (which are a huge impovement over the stockers - smooth with little to catch on). I did do some fairly extreme stuff prior to getting the RH skids and had no issues with the 1350's and stock skids.

I couldn't stand looking at the stock DS's - every time I saw them they I got a royal case of the a**. The fact that Jeep but such a guaranteed to fail part on just rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Question verdict?

Q: so what did you all end up upgrading to, what did it cost and are you happy?

I'm seriously looking at moving from a manual TJ to a JK. The JK Rubis that are possible deals are all autos.

Should I take DS replacement as a given if I get an auto and put on an OME? (I'll be wheeling mostly in Pine Barrens)
Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never upgraded, so far drove another 3000 miles w/o issue. Been wheeling at least 4 more times since it tore.

Quick Reply: So which front drive shaft should I buy?