Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft brake pedal after SS brake line installation

Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the opposite happen to me. I installed the crown lines up front included with my rancho lift. The difference in pedal feel was amazing. Much harder and more feel. 3 weeks later I upgraded to hawk pads and even better! I am planning on upgrading the rear now that I am running 35s.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking into getting SS lines to get a stiffer pedal but I will follow this thread closely before buying.

Has anyone tried braking in a gravel road to activate the ABS on purpose and remove the air from the ABS pump and then bleed the system?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

I installed PowerStop rotors and pads with 4” Crown Performance brake lines.
I have this issue:(
soft pedal and ...I think no difference on my brakes.
I have JK since 2009 and is the first time who change something from brake system. I couldnt activate abs system but I ll try it
Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

What did you use for bleeding? This seems to be common due to the tool used for bleeding. Some tools and methods of bleeding don't seem to work well on our JK brakes.

I have a 2009 and installed the Mopar BBK which comes with new replacement front lines and I don't have this problem and I didn't have to do anything with the ABS.

Alls i can tell you is what I did for bleeding seemed to work well.
Here's how I bled my brakes.
1. Remove brake fluid cap, make sure it is filled a little above the full line, ensure it does not go empty while bleeding.
2. Bleed one caliper at a time, starting at the caliper which is furthest from the master cylinder and then moving closer. (Rear passenger side>rear driver side>Front passenger side>Front driver side).
3. I Used a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.
4. Fill brake fluid to full line, replace the cap.

I used a vacuum pump which was the Harbor Freight $20 special, which I'll admit was a piece of sh*t, where I threw it away immediately after finishing bleeding my brakes so I'ld suggest the higher quality Mityvac vacuum pump if you want something more reliable.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-29-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
What did you use for bleeding? This seems to be common due to the tool used for bleeding. Some tools and methods of bleeding don't seem to work well on our JK brakes.

I have a 2009 and installed the Mopar BBK which comes with new replacement front lines and I don't have this problem and I didn't have to do anything with the ABS.

Alls i can tell you is what I did for bleeding seemed to work well.
Here's how I bled my brakes.
1. Remove brake fluid cap, make sure it is filled a little above the full line, ensure it does not go empty while bleeding.
2. Bleed one caliper at a time, starting at the caliper which is furthest from the master cylinder and then moving closer. (Rear passenger side>rear driver side>Front passenger side>Front driver side).
3. I Used a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.
4. Fill brake fluid to full line, replace the cap.

I used a vacuum pump which was the Harbor Freight $20 special, which I'll admit was a piece of sh*t, where I threw it away immediately after finishing bleeding my brakes so I'ld suggest the higher quality Mityvac vacuum pump if you want something more reliable.
thank you. After 100 miles I think is better now. But i try again with your method. I bled my brakes with scan tool Mopar,and it drive you for the bleeding
Old 10-01-2018, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had best luck using a Motive Power pressure bleeder. Install one line at a time as quickly as possible and bleed before mocing on to the next one. Don't do all four, then bleed. Air that gets in the lines as you swap out the flex hoses flows upward towards the reservoir and gets trapped, particularly in the long, rear hard lines. The rears flow very slowly, there's not enough pressure to move it quickly. In general I'll pressurize the system and let it flow through each of the rear calipers for about one full minute before closing the bleeder. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. My pedal has been soft since I purchased my 2015 JKU last year. I installed a Metalcloak lift with extended brake lines, and hoped bleeding them then would help, but still no. I have an extended warranty but the dealer won't diagnose the problem (which we think may be a bad booster) unless I replace the stock brake lines (which I don't have anymore) or purchase the Mopar performance lines, at $79 each. I guess at some point I'll do that and hopefully the solution falls under the warranty.

Quick Reply: Soft brake pedal after SS brake line installation