Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires

 
Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM
  #1  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
preeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires

Got my first JK last year and about to complete the upgrades (Yeah, I know it never actually ends).
Started with the obvious ( see signature list ) with a basic plan to have a capable off roader (doing moderate to difficult trails) that will still retain a good freeway behavior as we go far distances occasionally.
Medium 3.5" lift with minimal maintenance sufficient to accept 37's and the expensive list of "must do's" to support the tire size...
Left the steering components for last since, truth is, I had no idea what level of assist nor type of steering reinforcement I will need, so I decided to hit the trails and see what breaks (-;
Things went fine for a while but did a tough Table Mesa trail yesterday and when stopping to air up I noticed the steering is super hard while in stand still. Moving slowly brought the power back.
It was so hard to turn the wheels that it was very obvious that something went bad. Checked the bottom and all is OK, checked the power steering fluid level OK, Jeep steering perfect when moving but doesn't steer at stand still.
I assume the problem is not mechanical and may be the pump or possibly the box but since I managed to break the system (expected...) I'd rather not fix to stock level and risk another failure.

I'm considering a hydro assist kit to support the current setup and possibly a 40" setup in the future so it should be a "buy once" thing given the high $ involved in this type of upgrade.
Other options may be full hydro (risky if fails.. I get completely stuck) or beefing up the box/pump.
I know I also need to replace the ball joints (Dynatrac probably) and entire Steering Linkage as well to have the job done once and correctly.

I would like to ask those of you who do hard wheeling and have upgraded their steering for their input as far as recommended setup and which exact kit and steering parts are satisfactory based on actual experience.

... and thanks for having me on your awesome forum!


Last edited by preeb; 03-18-2018 at 09:09 AM.
preeb is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 PM
  #2  
JK Freak
 
Earth Siege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marshall, Texas
Posts: 929
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I went with PSC rams. It was not cheap but well worth it. Had some extra work to make it work with my LS conversion. Later i learned of Redneck Rams and comes highly recommended after the fact. Also hear its a less expensive option. Look into it and a frame brace
Earth Siege is offline  
The following users liked this post:
preeb (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:17 PM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
BoraBora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 604
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 37" Trail Graps. My plan is to go with the West Texas kit, and send them my stock steering box for them to tap. I'll either run their ram, or the PSC.

Don't go full hydro if you drive it on the road any long distances. If it was a trailer queen, then for sure.

Last note: I really wouldn't put 40's on Rubi axles (even if they're built) unless you wrench on all your own stuff, are self-sufficient on the trails (read: not reliant on the help of others in the event of a failure or breakage), have great towing coverage, or...once again, don't daily or long distance drive it. Even then I still wouldn't. 37's will get you where you need to go, and are already pushing the limits of the 44's. I know Eddie/WOL ran 40's on his 44's...but there's a reason he's on ProRock 60's now.
BoraBora is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 07:41 PM
  #4  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
preeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Earth Siege View Post
I went with PSC rams. It was not cheap but well worth it. Had some extra work to make it work with my LS conversion. Later i learned of Redneck Rams and comes highly recommended after the fact. Also hear its a less expensive option. Look into it and a frame brace
Thanks.
The new PSC system (PSC BIG BORE XD CYLINDER ASSIST KIT) is very complete and comes with a beefy box, pump, reservoir, large hoses, cooler.. etc.


I'm also not so sure the dealership will replace my bad pump seeing my 37 tires... LOL, so going the RNR way will require a lot more on top of it.

Except for the ram what are you using for steering Linkage and bracing on your monster rig?
preeb is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 07:53 PM
  #5  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
preeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 37" Trail Graps. My plan is to go with the West Texas kit, and send them my stock steering box for them to tap. I'll either run their ram, or the PSC.

Don't go full hydro if you drive it on the road any long distances. If it was a trailer queen, then for sure.

Last note: I really wouldn't put 40's on Rubi axles (even if they're built) unless you wrench on all your own stuff, are self-sufficient on the trails (read: not reliant on the help of others in the event of a failure or breakage), have great towing coverage, or...once again, don't daily or long distance drive it. Even then I still wouldn't. 37's will get you where you need to go, and are already pushing the limits of the 44's. I know Eddie/WOL ran 40's on his 44's...but there's a reason he's on ProRock 60's now.
I hear you on the full hydro.
Will not go over 37's on this Jeep for sure but if need to be I may transfer it to a new build in the future so wouldn't want to limit the capability even though it may be overkill for now.
What made you go with the West Texas RNR kit?
preeb is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
BoraBora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 604
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

The PSC is great, but the West Texas RNR does the same job for significantly cheaper...so it really can't be beat for the money. Durability wise, people have been beating on the RNR for well over 7 years now without issues or reported failures. The stock pump is actually pretty dang good, so there's no real reason to replace it.

Ultimately my decision is based on the premise that if there were any real issues or flaws with the West Texas RNR, I would have read or seen them by now; I spent a solid amount of time reading about/researching hydro assist on the other forum (JKO) before formulating my opinion/decision.

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-18-2018 at 08:24 PM.
BoraBora is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 AM
  #7  
JK Freak
 
Earth Siege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marshall, Texas
Posts: 929
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.
Earth Siege is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 AM
  #8  
JK Freak
 
Earth Siege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marshall, Texas
Posts: 929
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

My bracing was included with teraflex draglink flip kit, it came with a frame brace kit and brackets. When the steering gear box gets into a bind, it tries to rotate the one frame horn its mounted to which can cause damage to box and mounting point on frame. The kit forces the other frame horn to share the load and lessen the effects of the load to both horns.
Earth Siege is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM
  #9  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
preeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
The PSC is great, but the West Texas RNR does the same job for significantly cheaper...so it really can't be beat for the money. Durability wise, people have been beating on the RNR for well over 7 years now without issues or reported failures. The stock pump is actually pretty dang good, so there's no real reason to replace it.

Ultimately my decision is based on the premise that if there were any real issues or flaws with the West Texas RNR, I would have read or seen them by now; I spent a solid amount of time reading about/researching hydro assist on the other forum (JKO) before formulating my opinion/decision.
I'll give them a call today. Their website is not very informative.
preeb is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 AM
  #10  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
preeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Earth Siege View Post
Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.
No full hydro. Too dangerous even if it was legal
preeb is offline  

Quick Reply: Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: