Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

softest ride?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default softest ride?

What suspension system/components will provide the softest ride? Looking to clear 35s but have a super soft squishy ride. Big money long arm systems are not in the budget. I have been leaning toward the OME system, but have been thinking about rancho 9000's dialed down low and good progressive rate coils.

Any Ideas?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVO

10 characters
Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CIJeep
EVO

10 characters

what is EVO??? that cannot be what you mean cause that is in the expensive long arm class?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had the ranchos and the Old Man Emu shocks and can tell you that the OME shocks ride very good. I think the ranchos can be dialed down to be more "squishy" than the OME shocks are, but to have a great all around ride get the OME stuff.

EVO stuff is expensive and I can tell you that my long arm suspended Jeep rides better than all of the above, as well as a stock suspended Jeep.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I have had the ranchos and the Old Man Emu shocks and can tell you that the OME shocks ride very good. I think the ranchos can be dialed down to be more "squishy" than the OME shocks are, but to have a great all around ride get the OME stuff.

EVO stuff is expensive and I can tell you that my long arm suspended Jeep rides better than all of the above, as well as a stock suspended Jeep.
your jeep is insane!!! I would love a system like that, but cannot afford anything close. very nice.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 AM
JK Freak

am pretty sure the 4inch rancho sport lift clears 35's and that you can adjust shock stiffnes for sure.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

I couldn't be more happy with the quality of ride and capability the OME has with 35's. Better ride than stock, imo.

You will need adj. track bars, longer or adj. swaybar disconnects, adj. upper control arms and longer brake lines if you plan on wheeling any at all. (the swaybars and control arms are to get the aligment back in order).

Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Make sure you have good tires if you want a soft ride. Even if the lift is nice, Shocks will make it ride like crap.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Remember the shock controls the rebound of the spring, the spring rate is were the "stiffness" comes from!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nangulator
Remember the shock controls the rebound of the spring, the spring rate is were the "stiffness" comes from!
Not meaning to be picky, but shocks can add a great deal to stiffness. There are all kinds and ratings of shocks.

Leaf springs can be stiff, coils by their very nature are squishy. Not to say if you used a coil off a dumptruck it wouldn't be very stiff.

Quick Reply: softest ride?