Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spacers vs New wheels

Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as cost... it depends on what wheels you eventually want.

if you are thinking walker evans beadlocks down the road... you may want to run some spacers for a while to save up some money.

if you are thinking rockcrawler d window wheels (+/- $60 a piece) you may just want to bite the bullet and get them now instead of wasting the money on 200 (250 if you need one for the spare) for spacers.

i went with new wheels. it gives the jeep a unique look, rather than the stock, jeep wheel (although i do like the look of the moabs with large tires, makes the jeep look like it should have from the factory)

you could also save a little money going with a 16" wheel... the tires are a bit cheaper.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I chose spacers for my 35's because... IMHO

A. Price difference
B. I like the stock rubi wheels
C. I have yet to find a set of aftermarket wheels I like that are fairly priced.
D. I can put the money I saved on wheels into other parts I need.
E. I can always update to new wheels later.
F. If you wheel for any ammount of time you will scratch your bling-wheels anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Price of tires was my biggest decision point. I've got the 18" OEM wheels, and the price difference between a 35 for an 18" versus 16" rim was enough to pay for a nice set of Pro Comp's. It's a Jeep intended to be offroad, so why spend mucho dinero on large wheels when it is the rubber that makes a difference offroad. Might also consider amount of room and flex created when airing down a tire on a larger versus smaller wheel. Smaller wheel gives room for more rubber and more traction if ever needed.

Spacers aren't a bad thing, and the rest of the decision is probably personal preference after considering the cost.

You will definately scrape a wheel or tire sometime, so don't spend so much on a wheel that you can't stand to scratch up.

Quick Reply: Spacers vs New wheels