Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Knock

Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm putting my $5 on the ole standard loose TB bolt, probably axle side. Seems to me that bad DL or TR ends don't typically clunk, you just get a feeling out of them when hitting a bump. Noises typically end up being loose bolts (assuming not a u-joint).
anytime your trackbar bolt is loose I guarantee you will not make it 1/4 mile without experiencing death wobble.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
anytime your trackbar bolt is loose I guarantee you will not make it 1/4 mile without experiencing death wobble.
Although I agree with most of your comments, I'd submit it depends on how loose it is. I've had that axle side TB bolt just loose enough to start hearing a solid pop while turning (or cycling the steering) with no real effects on drivability. A couple of times as a matter of fact. It started signalling an issue well before being loose enough to cause major issues. The bolt took 1/8 turn to get back to 125 ft lbs torque....so wasn't that loose, but loose enough to cause a noise. Both times it happened I was surprised, but then I realized it started happening after shooting my RK TB axle side joint with fluid film like they suggest. Given that is penetrating, I figure it had been getting down in the threads and loosening things up.....kinda counter intuitive. That sucker has some thread lock on it now.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Although I agree with most of your comments, I'd submit it depends on how loose it is. I've had that axle side TB bolt just loose enough to start hearing a solid pop while turning (or cycling the steering) with no real effects on drivability. A couple of times as a matter of fact. It started signalling an issue well before being loose enough to cause major issues. The bolt took 1/8 turn to get back to 125 ft lbs torque....so wasn't that loose, but loose enough to cause a noise. Both times it happened I was surprised, but then I realized it started happening after shooting my RK TB axle side joint with fluid film like they suggest. Given that is penetrating, I figure it had been getting down in the threads and loosening things up.....kinda counter intuitive. That sucker has some thread lock on it now.
That's weird. I know from my person experience in the same situation I have gotten Dw, as well as back when I had the ever so popular ovaled out bolt hole, I had dw. Also I've had a few heims wear causing just the slightest movement which resulted in dw. Maybe you have a really nice steering stabilizer? Lol

Also, RK recommends red lock tight the jam nuts of all their control arms and track bars. I also am a user of fluid film on the joints.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Maybe you have a really nice steering stabilizer? .
LMAO.....I def don't have one of those fancy double stabilizers, nor a pricey FOX. The first time that happened to me I had just left an off road park. Heard a strange pop but it wasn't happening regularly. After a bout 45 mile trip home it was popping on about every turn. Was easily duplicated while stationary in the drive and narrowed it down quickly. Second time it happened was after random driving. I had definitely loctited the jam nuts....just didn't really consider the mounting bolts. I tend to learn lessons the hard way......but at least the knowledge sticks with me after that.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

LMAO.....I def don't have one of those fancy double stabilizers, nor a pricey FOX. The first time that happened to me I had just left an off road park. Heard a strange pop but it wasn't happening regularly. After a bout 45 mile trip home it was popping on about every turn. Was easily duplicated while stationary in the drive and narrowed it down quickly. Second time it happened was after random driving. I had definitely loctited the jam nuts....just didn't really consider the mounting bolts. I tend to learn lessons the hard way......but at least the knowledge sticks with me after that.
Heard that brother. I tack weld all my jam nuts, from my steering components to my control arms. Not only does it ensure they will not loosen, it takes the place of using a paint marker to draw a line across the tube-nut for reference points. Whenever I need to readjust it just takes the press of a grinder and voila.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Heard that brother. I tack weld all my jam nuts, from my steering components to my control arms. Not only does it ensure they will not loosen, it takes the place of using a paint marker to draw a line across the tube-nut for reference points. Whenever I need to readjust it just takes the press of a grinder and voila.
Genius!!!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

I hadn't tightened it enough when I installed it. So it was loose at maybe 45 ft-lbs. I'm also running Hydro-assist...so no death wobble.

Quick Reply: Steering Knock