Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger or Tubo on 09 Auto?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iblowstuffup
This is always an odd statement I hear on this forum. Turbos can deliver tons of low-end torque. Diesel trucks make mad low-end torque. Infact, turbos are capable of producing maximum boost almost at low rpms where supercharges produce a fixed boost at a fixed rpm. Maybe it's the lag people are trying to say isn't good for offload?

I have the sprintex and its pretty nice.
Based on what prodigy said, they said it doesn't really kick in until 3000 rpm, or at least I think prodigy said this.
Edit: below is a link to the turbo, you can see a dyno graph, max power hits around 4k

Last edited by vitodivita; 04-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://prodigyperformance.com/jeep-turbo-kit/

I'm not hating on the turbo, it's just I always hear about "turbo lag" and how useless it is for offroad application. I think I'd rather supercharge a jeep than turbo it..

Last edited by vitodivita; 04-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vitodivita
http://prodigyperformance.com/jeep-turbo-kit/

I'm not hating on the turbo, it's just I always hear about "turbo lag" and how useless it is for offroad application. I think I'd rather supercharge a jeep than turbo it..
Different solutions for different applications. Turbo if your a mall crawler. If you use your jeep for camping, off road etc a good roots charger is your best choice.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the turbo with an auto 08

I am running the 8 psi kit and i can tel you HUGE Amazing power difference

The garage who installed for me have done many superchargers, hemi engines swaps and even chevy motors on jks and tjs

He said that my turbo kit is waaay much better than any supercharger he installed

And btw, i have no lag at all and no heat issues

Though the temperature here reachd now around 41 C' !! And its going to reach 47 - 49 C' soon

My only problem is i have multiple misfire code p0300

Waiting for wes from prodigy to send me the new tune to erase this code and to send me the turbo blanket

I am going to write a full report about my jk once the trouble code is removed

All in all , if you you wanna go with any force induction

Prodigy kit all the way !!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
OK Now we have real world performance: Sprintex: Tire/ gears Combination: unKnow YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McB09YmBsFo 3650 $ Prodigy turbo: Tire/ gears Combination: 33s, 3.73 YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpvBr9zZqg 5500$ Ripp: Tire/ gears Combination: 35s, 5.13 YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxvUzDrvdw 4765 $ For sure the prodigy wins the ripp overthere, just wondering which tires/gears the srintex guy is running so we can have final judgement
Check my posts
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jsias
Thinking bout adding a supercharger or turbo on my 09 unlimited down the road. Which would be better considering I have the 3.8 with 4 speed auto tranny? Would like both performance and longevity. Thanks!
I have the same year and tranny. 35 inch tires and in my quest to end the constant down shifting driving down the highway I first went to 5:33 gears, which helped but still didn't make it very drivable at highway speeds. I then added the Ripp Supercharger and while it is a noticeable improvement it is still not as drivable as I would like it to be. I think someone else mentioned changing out the tranny cooler which is a must. I blew the transmission out within 2,000 miles of installing the RIPP. Overall it was a great improvement. I don't know that I can say it was worth the money for the amount of improvement though.
I don't think I would ever buy another Jeep unless they put a factory V-8 in one. Pushing a brick through the air at highway speeds just takes more power than they shove into them.

Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Idrenak
I don't think I would ever buy another Jeep unless they put a factory V-8 in one. Pushing a brick through the air at highway speeds just takes more power than they shove into them.
Haven't gone to 35s yet (still stock with 32s) but I have no issues pushing my 2012 as fast as I want to go. And with the power I have, I can't see there being a huge difference between 32s and 35s. But a 5.3 or a 5.7 sure would be nice.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Idrenak
I have the same year and tranny. 35 inch tires and in my quest to end the constant down shifting driving down the highway I first went to 5:33 gears, which helped but still didn't make it very drivable at highway speeds. I then added the Ripp Supercharger and while it is a noticeable improvement it is still not as drivable as I would like it to be. I think someone else mentioned changing out the tranny cooler which is a must. I blew the transmission out within 2,000 miles of installing the RIPP. Overall it was a great improvement. I don't know that I can say it was worth the money for the amount of improvement though.

Good Luck.
The sprintex let's me drive at 75 without downshifting with 37s and 5.38 gears. But you need some programming on the automatic transmission to hold the gear with the increased torque. If you don't have that, I noticed a supercharger will downshift MORE than stock. The diablo tune seems like its addressing the automatic transmisson issue.

For me the sprintex really adds a pretty big increase in torque from 2k to 3k. Past 3k though I believe the compressor isn't very efficient and it seems like it might hurt (or at least net 0 difference) the power of the 3.8.

So if you want to take your jeep to race wars and you are street racing it from stop light to stop light the sprintex will probably be pretty disappointing.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

I'm running a RIPP stage 2. I am pretty happy with the results as of so far. Dyno resulted in a 80 whp gain with 100 hp to the crank. Only issue is not much room to run a tranny cooler with an intercooler.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guys, the prodigy turbo is really reliable

From stop till 100 miles/ hr maybe in 13 to 14 seconds

I can jump from speed to speed in fractions of seconds with small push on the pedal

The other day was on the high way, speed limit is 80 mph

one car was sticking to to my jeep butt wanted to pass me

I just pushed quarter of the pedal , all i can say is Wo0oW ! Jeep reached 110 mph hahahah

The car couldn't catch me at all

And it had the power to go on and on

My jeep have power on all rpm band

Prodigy kit highly recommended

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Tubo on 09 Auto?