Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension Idea, Opinions needed

Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Yep, pretty sure thedirtman is talking about the same OME springs and shocks I'm using...
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent! Thank you again!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm running a '07 JKUR automatic. The flashpaq has additional tunes, in addition to changing tire size and and such. The flashcal is the one that doesn't have tunes (unless you pay to upgrade it).
They will both let you adjust for tire size, which will help with shift points and get the speedo/odo correct. But don't expect the tune to overcome the size/mass of 35's on a 3.8 auto. You're talking like 5-7 Horsepower down at normal driving rpm's, it helps but not really a significant amount. Plan on at least 4.88's. (with a 3.8 auto on 35's, I ran 5.13's for a while, then actually went to 5.38's when I went to a front pr44.) Once you get the tires, make a habit of pressing the OD/Off button as soon as you start it every day, it'll help until you get around to gears.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Oh- I know the tuner won't do too much in the HP dept- I've used tuners before. It does help slightly improve driveablility- I just wanted a tuner that can do more than a flashcal. I'll add gears to the short list. Thanks again all!!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I hope this post doesn't count as a "show and tell"... Anyhoo... Here's what I've got so far for the franken lift. I do still like over-building things, but thanks to you guys, the expense has been mitigated. Here's the parts list: OME 2616 2" front springs, OME 2617 2.25" rear springs, Rocksport long travel front and rear shocks, JKS adjustable end links for the rear, swap the factory rear end links to the front, JKS fixed lower control arms front and rear. I know, I don't really need the aftermarket lower control arms, but they're beefier than factory. Beefy is good. I like beef. The OME springs are not the HD springs. The Rocksports are not the "long(er)" ones. I'll be using flat fenders and 35's with this set up. I'll be re-gearing to 5.13 as well. Some new wheels should take care of any clearance and/or backspacing issues. So... Thoughts on this set up? Good to go? Anything to add? There's other items/areas I'll be seeing to for sure, but I'm strictly talking about the suspension here.

Last edited by Yemx; 11-23-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Looks good to me. I am not sure but I think the rock sport shocks are rebranded OME. Metal Cloak used OME long travel shocks before the Rocksports came out.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

TheDirtman- Sweet. I was hoping I hit all the wickets. You may be right about those Rocksports being rebranded OME's. I had narrowed the choices down to the Rocksports, OME, and Falcon 2.1's. The overwhelming positive reports about the Rocksports (and the price!) won me over. Thank you all again!! The help is very much appreciated!! I'll post in other sections when I get some work done on this JK...

Last edited by Yemx; 11-23-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

I've been considering running 1.5" wheel spacers for the time being. I've looked up pictures online, trying to find as many threads on this forum as I could. It looks like the factory flares just cover the tires, even with the wheel spacers. So shouldn't a "factory width" flat fender also cover the tires well enough?

I dunno... Maybe I'll just go with 33's and keep the factory flares... So many choices.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are a bunch of posts and youtube videos about chopping the stock flares, if that interests you. Not difficult, just a little time consuming, and the plus to it is you can take as much or as little as you want.

Some go narrow, I keep them more of a full width with a bit of the down-turn at the edge. (so pretty much just chopped off the sides hanging down.) I like the look of flats better than chopped, but since I seem to have had bad luck with breaking flares over the years, I haven't wanted to spend money on expensive aftermarket flats. (On my 4th set of cheap/free take-offs from craigslist, a quick cut and they work just fine for me.)
Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ditto, I've cut a few sets. I'm on my list most recent set and they've got an inch coming down the side. It's enough to cover the tires (somewhat) and they still allow you to flex without tearing one off. I don't feel bad about nudging a tree with them either. I'd like something different........nemesis notorious .....but these will work for now.

Quick Reply: Suspension Idea, Opinions needed