Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension Idea, Opinions needed

Old 11-24-2019, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for the suggestions- I'm definitely going to stick with the 35's and flat fenders- I like using purpose built parts when I can, so no fender cuts for me. Just personal preference- I just am not a fan of how they look. I only brought up the flat fender issue because I don't know if "OE width" really means OE width. Or will I have to get legit wide width fenders, which are more expensive. Also, if I have to go with wider width fenders, it narrows my choices and raises prices. I'll just keep doing research into this. I over think things sometimes (read: ALL the time). I HATE doing the same job twice.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I also hate most of the factory cut flares, they look tacky IMO. But, I think I've made them look relatively factory but still cut out enough to where they work with bigger tires. I just thought I'd present you with an option, even if it's an interim option.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I put Bushwackers on my 2014 and really it was the only mod I really regretted. They are plenty wide but look like dumbo ears. The only flat fenders I would even consider is metal cloak. I have seen every other brand up close and it is all personal taste but MC is the only one I would do.
Karl's look pretty good for factory trimmed ones altho I can't see how the inner fender is trimmed.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

karls10jk- see, those look fine! Honestly, it doesn't even look like you trimmed them! Which, if I were to trim the factory flares, is exactly what I would do.

jadmt- That's exactly what I'm worried about too- most of the flat fenders look like dumbo ears. I really wish states weren't so stupid about fender laws. To each their own about the MC fenders- I'm not a fan of those balls at the corners. I'm sure they did this so that the fenders would deflect more easily, rather than have a hard corner to possibly dig into stuff... but ehhhh... LOL

I've been looking at more pictures of what JK's look like w/1.5" spacers and factory flares, and it really looks like I should be fine- as long as "OEM width" means OEM width... I guess we'll see. Maybe I'll just hold off and make my own fiberglass flares that look like factory flares with a smaller side marker light (yeah, I have to have that too), so that way it looks more factory... Again- thanks for the thoughts gentlemen.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The balls are a mount so you can easily remove the flairs if you want if you are running tight trails.
The following users liked this post:
jadmt (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The balls are a mount so you can easily remove the flairs if you want if you are running tight trails.
correct and is a good idea.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Oooohhhhhh, okay. I didn't know that. It IS a good idea... Just not a fan of the looks. Plus, this rig will be more for "overlanding" than doing legit hard trails, so I don't have a need.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

if not doing hard trails and just overlanding why even change out the stock fender flares?

Quick Reply: Suspension Idea, Opinions needed