Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension noise/rattle on bumpy roads?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension noise/rattle on bumpy roads?

So I noticed this summer with top down and doors off most days that my ride on bumpy roads at least sounds like $hit. It doesn't ride that poorly at all, but it just sounds like it is kind of falling apart at the seems on most PA roads with bumpy sections, potholes, etc.

I don't know whether to call it rattle-y, bangy, or clanky, but it sounds like a jolting metal on metal sound over bumps at speed. I'm on 2.5" RC lift and 1" body lift.

Doesn't appear my shocks or any suspension parts are installed wrong or loose. I did the install (and did about 3 different setups 3 times) and have double checked tightness on everything multiple times.

It's been like this for probably 10,000 miles or so now though and it handles fine and like I said doesnt feel that bad, but sounds like crap. Like I said I've checked a bunch of things to no avail, so I am just guessing that is how it is supposed to ride when hitting (fairly) large bumps and potholes with any speed. If I drive the same bumpy roads at lower speeds I don't get near the terrible sounds. It's kind of like at speed the suspension/axle/etc. don't have time to react and 'travel' over the bumps and potholes 'smoothly' and quietly. At lower speeds it rides smooth on bumpy roads and offroad at low speeds it flexes just fine with no rattle/bang.

So, what else could be causing this? Just throwing out ideas, but:

-maybe my sway links aren't long enough? I have the TF quick discos for 2.5" lift so I dont think thats it, but like I said kind of like the axle isn't traveling as freely as it should when hitting bumps at speed? also my sway links sit kind of close to the spring (at least in my opinion)... I'd say there is maybe 1-1.5" (max) clearance between the end of my links and the spring. I don't think they can hit due to the way the sway bar would travel and cause the link to travel, but maybe it is too close for some reason and bumping together somehow?
-I think I left the rubbery isolater on top of the spring so its not like there could be a metal spring jamming on metal perch (but thats kind of what it sounds like)? Need to check that tonight.
-Could bad shock bushings be the cause of this? Mine look a little beat up but they aren't torn or excessively worn in my opinion? Or is this just the way it rides?
-My shocks seem fine for the most part and especially offroad with travel. It is not excessively bouncy, etc. Front driver is maybe leaking some fluid, but could this one 'bad' shock cause the entire thing to ride kind of crappy?
-could it be skidplates or something else loose? Are there obscure ones I am not thinking about b/c I checked the main engine/trans ones (sound coming from front end primarily) and they are tight, but haven't checked every single skid

Anyone?

EDIT: And when I say "at speed" I mean travelling a 45 mile per hour road at 45-50 mph, not speeding/flying around. However if I drove a 45 mph road at like 25-30mph, that is when it would be less noticable for example (which obviously not rrealistic to drive 20 under speed limit at all times)

Last edited by redrockin7; 08-30-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Have you had your ball joints and axle u-joints checked ? I had to replace all of the above at 50K miles and lots of front-end rattle as you described.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Have you had your ball joints and axle u-joints checked ? I had to replace all of the above at 50K miles and lots of front-end rattle as you described.
Haven't had this checked, but should...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
If it were the door latches, it would sound like it is in the body.

It certainly could be blown shock bushings--that would be more of a clunk than a rattle.

It could be rocks/gravel in skid plates.

If all control arm, trackbar, shock, and swaybar links have been torqued, my next step would be to enlist the help of 3-4 guys to come jump up and down on the bumpers of your jeep to rock the suspension while you crawl around underneath looking and listening for the source.
Not door latches, I know that clunk and fixed with tape around striker.

It is definitely not clunk - it's metal jolting metal rattle/banging. I don't think its the bushings.

Last I checked (couple hundred/thousand miles) all suspensions connections were torque appropriately.

Have to check the skids, including for rocks and such caught up in them... that's a potential b/c although I try to spray it out good after wheeling I am sure I miss a bunch.

Maybe I don't have enough guys jumping on it - I tried having one person sway it side to side and front to back and it doesn't happen then at all.

It seriously sounds like the entire tire/hub/axle assembly lifting off the ground and crashing back to earth after a bump. It doesn't really 'feel' like this, nor is it really doing it b/c it handles well, but thats what it sounds like. It's not very pleasant. LOL.

With the doors on you can't hear it near as much so its liveable then, but doors off you hear it loud and clear.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
How much to replace your ball joints, by the way?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by redrockin7
My work order summary ...

Type Qty Code Description Total
Labor - BALL JOINT - UPPER & LOWER,Both SIDES $396.90
Labor - AXLE SHAFT - Both Sides & Replace UJoints $79.38
Parts 2 56100 0002 Ball Joint Kit $141.12
Parts 2 52302 05 U-Joint $191.00
Parts 3 GEAROIL GEAR OIL $6.75
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

had same noise was shock bushings it was easy fix . jack it and check shock and ball joint
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi

$600.00 for the Dynatrac's
$300.00 for the press
The satisfaction of installing them yourself. PRICELESS

Check this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Joint-Install
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't ride that poorly at all, but it just sounds like it is kind of falling apart at the seems on most PA roads with bumpy sections, potholes, etc.
amen... i think the problem is we need to move
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Just throwing this one out there, but it had me going for a while...

I too heard a similar metal clunking sound coming from the rear of my Jeep whenever I hit bumps. It drove me crazy, sounded like my Jeep was a toolbox. And then I realized that I keep tools in my rear storage compartment of my Jeep (with my jack).

Probably not the same problem your having, but just something to think about that it might be something simple like a loose tailgate or a loose jack or something.

Quick Reply: Suspension noise/rattle on bumpy roads?