Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TeraFlex, MetalCloak, or other?
TeraFlex
33.33%
MetalCloak
58.33%
other
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

TeraFlex 2.5" lift or MetalCloak 2.5" lift?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very happy with my 2.5" MC Dual Rate kit on my 4dr. It netted me about 3.25" of lift, but I'm running pretty light. I ran it with 33s for a while and it performed great, now running with my 35s I couldn't be happier. What ultimately swung my decision was that it came with UCAs for castor, the front track bar and rear bracket, brake lines, and some other odds and ends that I knew I would need sooner rather then later.

33s
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized Side.jpg
Views:	2888
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	632278
33s stacked onto my buddies 35s

Name:	11150429_10206108102277500_1913998227012119790_n.jpg
Views:	2278
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	632280
35s

Name:	20150904_134308.jpg
Views:	3568
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	632279
35s, chopped flares

Name:	20151018_092602.jpg
Views:	1946
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	632281
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Very happy with my 2.5" MC Dual Rate kit on my 4dr. It netted me about 3.25" of lift, but I'm running pretty light. I ran it with 33s for a while and it performed great, now running with my 35s I couldn't be happier. What ultimately swung my decision was that it came with UCAs for castor, the front track bar and rear bracket, brake lines, and some other odds and ends that I knew I would need sooner rather then later.
Jeep looks awesome man. Thank you for the input. I was always leaning towards the TeraFlex kit before I bought my Jeep. Now I'm torn between the two.

The advantage I see with the MC kit is the UCAs and the ability to easily upgrade this kit to something more serious later without ripping out components.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Any kit is upgradable, not just MC and RK because they happen to say it in the descriptions...

If you do a little reading, you will see quite a few opinions saying that front lowers are the better choice if you are only doing one set of arms (better range of adjustability). Just something to consider while you are researching.

(a devil's advocate question here) From reading your various posts in this thread, it seems that a simple 2-2.5" BB would work just fine for your stated needs. So - Why are you wanting to drop a bunch of money on an expensive lift? Bragging rights?

And simply because I have a MC 3.5", they get my vote.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Any kit is upgradable, not just MC and RK because they happen to say it in the descriptions...

If you do a little reading, you will see quite a few opinions saying that front lowers are the better choice if you are only doing one set of arms (better range of adjustability). Just something to consider while you are researching.

(a devil's advocate question here) From reading your various posts in this thread, it seems that a simple 2-2.5" BB would work just fine for your stated needs. So - Why are you wanting to drop a bunch of money on an expensive lift? Bragging rights?

Honestly I am pretty open to any lift. No bragging rights at all. Just want my Jeep to have some lift, 35" tires, and not drive like a POS. I like the factory handling, and to my understanding, putting a cheap lift on a brand new Jeep is pointless. I don't want to have to turn around and replace a budget boost when I could have done it right the first time.

If you were to be in my position with my uses, what Budget lift would you go with?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Exactly, you can run Rock krawler springs, Teraflex control arms, jks track bars, and throw a metal cloak sticker on the yeti for good measure. There are several people on here that watch the for sale section and build their lifts out of all different/used parts.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flex_Junkie
Exactly, you can run Rock krawler springs, Teraflex control arms, jks track bars, and throw a metal cloak sticker on the yeti for good measure. There are several people on here that watch the for sale section and build their lifts out of all different/used parts.
With your first Jeep would you go that route? I have saved up for a lift for quite some time now. Figured if I have the money, why not go with a new kit?

Again, I am very new to this.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put some flat fenders on and run your 35's. No need to mess with the suspension if you are just driving up and down the beach and to your camp site.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Put some flat fenders on and run your 35's. No need to mess with the suspension if you are just driving up and down the beach and to your camp site.
Should I beef up the Dana 30 with an axle assurance kit from Synergy? If I can get away with 35s with just flat fenders I'll do that.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnath_3
Just want my Jeep to have some lift, 35" tires, and not drive like a POS.
Driving like a POS isn't just about the name on the side of the box or the sticker on the component. It is also about learning what all you are changing when you start adding suspension height, which components fix those issues, and then installing/maintaining them correctly. Wouldn't be hard to find a Teraflex or Metalcloak that drives worse than a Rough Country or ProComp or any other mfg, simply because of the install, or because of worn out joints/ends, or whatever.

A BB will be like any other lift, it's all about your knowledge and expectations. At 2-2.5" some people don't bother correcting caster, others do. Same with axle centering, and brakelines, and bumpstops, and everything else. You either want to correct it, or you don't. But again, the fact that you chose a spacer instead of a coil or mfg A instead of mfg B, nope, not really the reason for driving like crap. (and btw, wasn't trying to talk you into or out of any specific lift, just raising a point...)

And if you choose the no lift/flat flare route, remember that there is more to it than just slapping the flares and tires on. You still need to check all the clearances, backspace, bumpstops, etc, especially with the tires stuffed. Don't wait til you're out in the boonies to find out that you're about to shred a tire.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jnath_3
With your first Jeep would you go that route? I have saved up for a lift for quite some time now. Figured if I have the money, why not go with a new kit?

Again, I am very new to this.
I would buy a basic, reputable (Rock krawler, Teraflex, metal cloak, rubicon express) 2.5" kit with some decent shocks. Drive it, see how you like it. If it's too flighty or hard to drive (which it probably won't be but everyone has their own opinion and thoughts) get a front track bar and either geo brackets or adjustable lower front control arms and it will be better than factory. Unless you want to dive into the world of crawling and Offroad ventures then by all means go balls out lol

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" lift or MetalCloak 2.5" lift?