Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex: big brake kit help

Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex: big brake kit help

well the title says it all. I Need help with a teraflex big brake kit (the basic on with rotors and caliper brackets) I ordered one through quadratec received it started to install it and there was .019" clearance between the caliper brackets with those little clips installed and the rotor. I was using 2 lug nuts to hold the rotors on so they should have been tight to the axle.

I called teraflex and they sent me new rotors the new rotors had around .03X" clearance between the rotors and brackets WITHOUT the clips installed. I called back they sent me new brackets the new brackets have .032" and .029" without those clips installed. So now I need help. what is wrong here. Im hoping teraflex will chime in here and help me out

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000698.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	538686Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000699.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	538687Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000701.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	538688

and I must say, while I am kinda anti teraflex due to the guy in that blue jeep and any of their videos on youtube, so far they have been fantastic about just sending parts to try to resolve this instead of arguing or making me send them parts first like I have experienced in the past

edit: I must ad in case it might make a difference which i highly doubt. This is a 10th anniversary rubicon unlimited

Last edited by MF11283; 03-18-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guessing from your pics that the caliper mounting bracket is not centered over the rotor? I don't know about the teraflex kit but other kits that I've seen use shims between the caliper bracket and the mounting surface to center the caliper. I guess teraflex is having quality control issues again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich
Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

I just found on another site the teraflex brake install and no issues there.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rich6700
I guessing from your pics that the caliper mounting bracket is not centered over the rotor? I don't know about the teraflex kit but other kits that I've seen use shims between the caliper bracket and the mounting surface to center the caliper. I guess teraflex is having quality control issues again.

no shims came with the original kit and no mention of shims was in the instructions. when I called the first time I was told "we had a bad run of calipers and brackets" but what are the odds of me getting 2 sets of rotors and brackets that are bad. I literally have 4 rotors and 4 brackets on my shelf right now and all of them spec out within a few thousands of each other
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Send it all back and get a refund. If you want to do a brake upgrade I upgraded with drilled and slotted rotors and a set of hawk brake pads. Much better than stock but they need to brake on for about a hundred miles. Or SSBC came out with a brake kit for jeeps.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is odd. Looks like you may be getting a bad batch of parts to me. Im sure Teraflex will stick with you till everything is right. Maybe they will send out Dennis to help you get the install straightened out LOL.

On a side note, damn is that tile on your garage floor?!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by olyelr
That is odd. Looks like you may be getting a bad batch of parts to me. Im sure Teraflex will stick with you till everything is right. Maybe they will send out Dennis to help you get the install straightened out LOL.

On a side note, damn is that tile on your garage floor?!
first I must say I sure hope so. second no that is my concrete driveway, its got a few cracks and chunks missing from having fires in 55 gallon drums, and god only knows how much metal build up on it from grinding and paint
Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rich6700
.....If you want to do a brake upgrade I upgraded with drilled and slotted rotors and a set of hawk brake pads.....
Any evidence behind the drilled/ slotted combo? There's actually less metal there to disapate heat and the multiple holes make them more prone to cracking. Any high performance pads will also need to be warmed up daily before you use them. The hawks seem fine to me for a DD.

No help here on the TF product though.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
Any evidence behind the drilled/ slotted combo? There's actually less metal there to disapate heat and the multiple holes make them more prone to cracking. Any high performance pads will also need to be warmed up daily before you use them. The hawks seem fine to me for a DD.

No help here on the TF product though.

Drilled and slotted rotors allow for more air circulation around the entire rotor, thus allowing the rotor to run cooler and minimizing brake fade.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine a week ago. Upgraded Goodrich braided lines and master cylinder. Plenty of room rotor to bracket clearance. I did however use my vacuum bleeder with the good old pump and hold technique and ended up going through (2) 32Oz fluid containers drawing air pockets out of everything. Night and day stopping power. Before the 6.2 Ls would want to "push" through the brakes at a stoplight. Now it holds it back no problem comfortably.

Quick Reply: Teraflex: big brake kit help