Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about bedlining the interior. Questions for those who have.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking about bedlining the interior. Questions for those who have.

Until I replace my totaled Mustang I'm daily driving the Jeep. I run a bikini top so every time it rains much I either have to park in the sun a while or take the carpet out of the rear and let it all dry out. I've already thought about bedliner in the past but this is making me think about doing it soon. So I have a few questions.

Id like to do it myself. What brands do you guys recommend (I know this has been beaten to death in other forums)?

How much do you guys estimate it will cost in raw materials?

What prep work do you recommend? Removing OEM sound deadening?

Are there any good rubber floor liners that would fit over the bedliner to keep the heat and noise down a bit? MY thought is one for the driver/passenger sides, one for the rear seats and possibly one for the trunk area (but I keep my spare in there so i might do that last).

Lastly, has anyone ever heard of a filler you can add to bedliner to dampen sound and reduce heat transfer? I saw something about that before but cant find much.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like that water absorbing crap factory heat sound deadener . Scrape out and clear coat, scuff . Bed line whatever.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hail2Ale
I don't like that water absorbing crap factory heat sound deadener . Scrape out and clear coat, scuff . Bed line whatever.
I was planning on removing it for sure. It just looks bad to me when you bedline over it. I might get a quote from Line-x but I imagine the DIY route it the way to go. Im halfway considering spraying the whole exterior one day too. Ive got a few spots where the paint is starting to wear bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that in my XJ. The downside is the floor heat. In order to counter it I bought some porcelain particle heat guard pain and then bedlined over that.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There are a couple really good threads on this forum regarding this DIY job, and with what looked to be very good results. As with most of these types of jobs, the hard work is really in the preparation rather than the application.

This is a good thread to read through -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...hreads-238739/
Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The 3 bottle kit from Raptor liner is enough to do the JK. Its a 2 part spray or roll on and it is tough. I did a TJ years ago and did My jk this year with the tinted stuff. Match was perfect in the gekko green. Prep is the worst part, scraping the sound dreading stuff and scuffing up all the paint and masking everything else.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor

I've been down this road several times.

The end result is great, just hose it out when it's dirty and you don't have to worry about the carpet junk, ect.

The downside is definitely heat. Lay some heat shielding (dynamat, ect) down around the passenger compartment, it'll make a big difference.

For the finished product I would recommend doing all the prep work and delivering it to Line X stripped down and ready to go. It's the best compromise between DIY and having someone else do it. We do a lot of Line X jobs and see a lot of Jeeps, and a good Line X shop can make the liner feel like a factory job. You can get there at home, but it's really difficult to get it to that level. Just my $.02, either way it's a worthwhile job as long as you know what you're getting into and doing it for the right reasons.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
For the finished product I would recommend doing all the prep work and delivering it to Line X stripped down and ready to go. It's the best compromise between DIY and having someone else do it. We do a lot of Line X jobs and see a lot of Jeeps, and a good Line X shop can make the liner feel like a factory job. You can get there at home, but it's really difficult to get it to that level. Just my $.02, either way it's a worthwhile job as long as you know what you're getting into and doing it for the right reasons.
Can you offer a ball park of what you typically see something like that cost when delivered prepped and ready to go?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by resharp001
Can you offer a ball park of what you typically see something like that cost when delivered prepped and ready to go?
It really depends on exactly how detailed you go, it can vary, but generally you're looking at anywhere from $800-2000 depending on how it's shot. I would talk to your local line X shop before getting started and see exactly what they recommend vs your budget.

As a follow up, horse mat is a great way to sound deaden and insulate over the Line X. It's cheap, you get it and cut it to fit. I like to put it where ever it doesn't interfere with petals, ect and really quiets everything down and you just pull the mats out and hose them off like a typical floor mat.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
I've been down this road several times.

The end result is great, just hose it out when it's dirty and you don't have to worry about the carpet junk, ect.

The downside is definitely heat. Lay some heat shielding (dynamat, ect) down around the passenger compartment, it'll make a big difference.

You put dynamat down? So you put the dynamat down and sprayed the liner over it? I'm confused.

Quick Reply: Thinking about bedlining the interior. Questions for those who have.