Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire weight or size matters?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am goin to be getting new tires and I am having trouble decided if I should stay with 33's or move up to 35's currently I have general red letter grapplers 33x12.50x17 and from what I've read they weigh 85lb's which is extremely heavy my jeep has factory tow kit and online when I search the vin it says I have 3.73 gears i bought the vehicle used is the only reason i don't know for sure but assume all the info I have is correct... It is also a 6 spd manual and currently i don't have a prob with lack if power or speed suits me just fine on and off road... My question is I've noticed good year toyo and other tires I can get in a 35" and still be lighter then 85lbs so will my Jeep loose anything by moving up to a bigger tire does weight play the issue or is it tire size that affects power with ur gears i also have an AEV pro cal... I know a bunch of people will just say re-gear and trust me I plan too when I have the money but currently it's not an option this is my DD as well so if 33's help me more then I don't mind to stick with them and move to a bigger size after re gearing... Also how do you find a place in your area that can put new gears in a Jeep? Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2073372642.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	515876 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2347306580.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	515877 Current set up.

Last edited by PiratesFan; 12-10-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does any one understand what I'm asking?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PiratesFan
Hey guys I am goin to be getting new tires and I am having trouble decided if I should stay with 33's or move up to 35's currently I have general red letter grapplers 33x12.50x17 and from what I've read they weigh 85lb's which is extremely heavy my jeep has factory tow kit and online when I search the vin it says I have 3.73 gears i bought the vehicle used is the only reason i don't know for sure but assume all the info I have is correct... It is also a 6 spd manual and currently i don't have a prob with lack if power or speed suits me just fine on and off road... My question is I've noticed good year toyo and other tires I can get in a 35" and still be lighter then 85lbs so will my Jeep loose anything by moving up to a bigger tire does weight play the issue or is it tire size that affects power with ur gears i also have an AEV pro cal... I know a bunch of people will just say re-gear and trust me I plan too when I have the money but currently it's not an option this is my DD as well so if 33's help me more then I don't mind to stick with them and move to a bigger size after re gearing... Also how do you find a place in your area that can put new gears in a Jeep? Attachment 515876 Attachment 515877 Current set up.
Toyos are normaly the heaviest tire because of the "E" rating. My 33" Nittos are "D" rated and the tire & wheel weigh about 84lbs. The 33" tires work for me. I can do most of Moab with them and I too have 3.73 gears. It's a pig on the highway here in the altitude but fine on the trail.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure exactly what your questions are.
A heavier tire makes a difference. It's rolling mass. It will take more power to move your jeep and more friction to slow your jeep.
In addition to the weight a larger tire will also effect your final gear ratio to the ground.

The reason people regear is to regain some of the performance, gas milage and drivability.

Most mechanics can put the gears in I would look for an offroad shop or possibly the dealer. In my area the dealer is one of the best priced for labor. (Go figure)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PiratesFan
Does any one understand what I'm asking?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ABRL&tab=Sizes

this says your tires only weighs 72 lbs...
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ur right i don't know where I saw that I thought it was generals web site but there's says the same thing my tires are two years old though I don't know if maybe they have made them lighter or i just read it wrong last time I checked... But thanks for the help
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

while both diameter and weight play a roll in killing your power I think diameter is a bigger killer. Weight probably affects braking more tho. going from a 33 to a 35 is going to kill power more even if the 35 was lighter. taller tires essentially numerically lower your gearing. this is hypothetical numbers but say you have 3.73 with stock tires and you move to 33's you may have the equivalent of 3.43 and 35's maybe 3.10' compared to how it was with stock tires.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

It's both, but tire pattern also plays into it. You'll get better mileage and power out of a 35" wildpeak than you will out of a 33" bogger.

Let's take it a step further- you'll get more power, better mileage out of a 34x9.50 TSL than you will a 33x15.50 baja belted.

There's a multitude of factors to look at and at the end of the day you're the only one who knows if it's the right call for you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

The tire size will affect the power more than the weight, but both definitely play a big part.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight helps with wheel spin torque.

Quick Reply: Tire weight or size matters?