Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire weight or size matters?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off subject, but PiratesFan, how do you like the Grabbers? I'm looking at getting a set. Just wanted to know how they were in the mud and also on the road. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RogueJKU77
Off subject, but PiratesFan, how do you like the Grabbers? I'm looking at getting a set. Just wanted to know how they were in the mud and also on the road. Thanks.
Wish I could be more help but it's the tire that was on the vehicle when I bought it so i don't have anything to compare to... They road nice when they were newer but now that I am down to the last 10 k or so there a little more rough and do not run max psi i run around 28 to 30 and it's pretty good... It's my DD so I've put about 35k on them jn a yr and I don't know how many miles were on them when I bought the Jeep.. As far as mud goes they did great and there self cleaning rain not so bad but slushy roads they are slick they would be great for rocks i think but primarily i do trails with dirt and mud not a. Whole lot of rocks and they performed well but I will be going with a at or mt tire next go around... Hope this helps

Last edited by PiratesFan; 12-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

That does help, I'm from North Louisiana, not much slush. But we do have mud and a few rocky trails. I think I'm going to get a set. I've got Hankook Dynapro MT's on now but they're 33's and I think the Grabbers are what I'm looking for. Thanks man.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
while both diameter and weight play a roll in killing your power I think diameter is a bigger killer. Weight probably affects braking more tho. going from a 33 to a 35 is going to kill power more even if the 35 was lighter. taller tires essentially numerically lower your gearing. this is hypothetical numbers but say you have 3.73 with stock tires and you move to 33's you may have the equivalent of 3.43 and 35's maybe 3.10' compared to how it was with stock tires.
I'm no physics expert, but it's like tv's, find a chart that show the total square inches of the screen, if you just go up a couple of inches the total square inches goes up a lot!

thats the only way I can explain it...

if your vin says so then I'd believe it, I had 3:21's and when I went to 33's it sucked a little bit

i really needed to get lockers and regear so I went bigger, I read some scary stories about people who went to 35's talking about all the sleeves and gussets they had to weld on and the bent axles and such so you should read some of those 35" posts

matthew
Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I didn't read the replies thus far but here's mine. Weight will affect acceleration. Diameter will effect power/torque. Aggressiveness in tread will effect rolling resistance/mpg. In a nutshell.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think your tires weigh 62 lbs - a C range tire in a 35" is only 5-7 lbs more. You won't notice that difference in weight but you will notice the size difference in power.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-24-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have toyo mt 34" not 35s but they are like 97lb. Ea. Love them though 78k on them now.I have an 08 jku auto with 373 and i get about 15 mpg as i am convinced these are the best tires for me and for the Wheeling that I do as my rig is pretty heavy good luck with your choices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131224_170720.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	519026

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131224_170753.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	519027
Same tires new rims though. Tires lasted so long I could buy rims instead of tires .

Quick Reply: Tire weight or size matters?