Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS on aftermarket wheels and tires

Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS on aftermarket wheels and tires

Do most folks replace the TPMS sensors in their aftermarket wheels/tires? I'm going to be ordering some 35's on 17" wheels and am contemplating not putting the TPMS sensors back in since I have the Superchips Flashpaq. I understand that by using that I can disable the TPMS on the computer. My only fear is that if I take it in for some kind of service and having to go back to the stock tune, that the dealer will give me a hard time about that.

What are other folks doing?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you have the superchips you don't need the tpms. that being said i have a procal on order and i just went ahead and got new TPMS for my new wheels so i didn't have to unmount the tires take the tpms off and put them on the new wheels, not worth it for 125 for a set of 5 sensors.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I just got new wheels and tires this week and I thought hard about it... but in the end decided not to move the TPMS over.

Reason being is, TPMS sensors require "hardware kits" to prevent them from leaking any time they are removed and reinstalled. This adds money, and it also adds the possibility of slow leakage. I have had sensors leak before due to the little washers not being installed properly.

Regular valve stems are cheaper and seal off better and generally are just easier to deal with. I turned my TPMS light off with the ProCal. It's not a problem to check the tire pressure every time I change my oil. TPMS is for lazy people.

Although, I will say that sometimes, TPMS can alert you to problems. I found a screw in my wife's tire once only because the TPMS light kept coming on a week after I'd fill the tire up.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

are you going to airdown and go wheeling? If yes, then remove the tpms's as they'll likely crush. If not, then keep them.

Put a case of beer in your jeep everytime you bring it in for service.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't seem like it's worth putting them on. It will also allow me to keep my stock wheels and tires (with them) in tact in case I want to re-sell I guess.

Thanks all!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

im still on the fence with this too, getting new wheels and tires in the spring or over the winter.

Im in Canada so NO CASE of beer ...too expensive up here! LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

I moved mine over and programmed them to come on at 26 PSI. I like having them there for an emergency.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

My local tire shop installed new TPMS sensors in my wheels for $25. They work fine. I have a ProCal that let's me set the limit. It's a safety feature on the road. For the money it seemed worthwhile to keep the functionality.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drivingfool
are you going to airdown and go wheeling? If yes, then remove the tpms's as they'll likely crush. If not, then keep them.

Put a case of beer in your jeep everytime you bring it in for service.
Never thought about this, could be a reason for some malfunctions, getting banged on rocks etc
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Get rid of them

Quick Reply: TPMS on aftermarket wheels and tires