Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS larger tires and stock rims

Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS larger tires and stock rims

Ok.. i have done the search but I can't find my answer.

I just put 35 mtr kevlars on stock 17inch rims with TPMS sensors.

Of course the sensor light is on now.. here is my question???

Is the sensor on because I have all four tires at 28 psi? At what psi would I have to have tires at to get the light to turn off?

I thought I read you can go as low as you want without setting off sensor light as long as all the tires are at the same psi? or am I smoking something?

Also spare is not on the back of vehicle yet? thought I read in the manual that tpms also measures the spare as well??? Have i lost it?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Hello, anyone?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should get a procal and turn the TPMS off. Well down to zero.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Jedi

Get the sensor's reprogrammed for a lower PSI setting OR air up your tires in the neighbourhood of 32PSI to see if the light goes out?

Did the tire shop break a sensor mounting your new tires??? Had this happen to me once.

Did you check your spare tire PSI?

MY (_!_) comes on anything lower than 25 PSI....however, last time I aired down to 15PSI and aired back up to 35 PSI....my light stayed on for several days...until it finally turned off....Gremlins I guess???

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 07-02-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Running mine at 30psi with no problems but I'm unsure of the lower limit. I have a procal on order.

Nick
Old 07-03-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

So since my spare is not on the jeep... that's what is probably throwing the tpms sensor?

another way/question. So if all 5 tires are set to 28 psi the tpms should not throw a fault? Correct?

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Get the sensor's reprogrammed for a lower PSI setting OR air up your tires in the neighbourhood of 32PSI to see if the light goes out?

Did the tire shop break a sensor mounting your new tires??? Had this happen to me once.

Did you check your spare tire PSI?

MY (_!_) comes on anything lower than 25 PSI....however, last time I aired down to 15PSI and aired back up to 35 PSI....my light stayed on for several days...until it finally turned off....Gremlins I guess???
Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Captainmorgan
So since my spare is not on the jeep... that's what is probably throwing the tpms sensor?

another way/question. So if all 5 tires are set to 28 psi the tpms should not throw a fault? Correct?
The TPMS light should go out once you mount your spare and 28 PSI should be okay. It may depend on where the stock sensors where set for the light to come on. If the light is still on then give it a few days and it should come off BUT if the light is still on....get your sensors checked out as one may have been damaged.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

O.K. so I mounted my spare tire... 35 mtrs on stock rims and when they changed the tires they put new o rings on all the tpms units in all 5 tires. Tire pressure is at 28psi... the darn tpms light still comes on

I will give it a couple of days but does everyone agree if all 5 tires are at 28 psi that the tpms light should not go off?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Captainmorgan
I put new wheels & tires on 3 days ago and swapped the sensors over to the new setup. My spare hasn't been on since then and I haven't had the TPMS light (yet).
Not sure if that helps.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

The computer is set to 30 psi and will go off if your pressure is below that. Removing the spare doesn't effect the computer. If you air back up above 30psi and drive around abit, your computer should reset. If you need to stay below 30psi and dont want aggravating tpms signal, you may have to get aev procal and reset tpms down on your computer.
\Good luck

Quick Reply: TPMS larger tires and stock rims