Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS larger tires and stock rims

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car computer is set to a specific PSI setting depending on your model. I just bought an 09 X that came with 16" steel wheels and on the door sticker, it says to keep at 35PSI. I bought some Sahara 18" take-offs which were aired at 32PSI and the low pressure light lit up. I went and pumped them all to 35PSI and the light went away pretty much instantly. The TPMS sensors are dumb devices to report tire pressure, and it's up to the car computer to determine the point of low air pressure. Follow what other members tell you and reprogram the car computer if you don't want to see that annoying light. You may also want to have the spare tire at the right pressure because I believe the car computer also keeps track of it.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beamme84
The car computer is set to a specific PSI setting depending on your model. I just bought an 09 X that came with 16" steel wheels and on the door sticker, it says to keep at 35PSI. I bought some Sahara 18" take-offs which were aired at 32PSI and the low pressure light lit up. I went and pumped them all to 35PSI and the light went away pretty much instantly. The TPMS sensors are dumb devices to report tire pressure, and it's up to the car computer to determine the point of low air pressure. Follow what other members tell you and reprogram the car computer if you don't want to see that annoying light. You may also want to have the spare tire at the right pressure because I believe the car computer also keeps track of it.
This is essentially my understanding and I have recently installed 37s on stock Rubi Rims. I ditched my sensors several months earlier when I got the AEV Procal by setting the computer to 0 PSI with no problems. Of course, when I put on the 37s and re-geared to 5.13s, the Procal came in handy again. I bought my lift from NorthRidge 4x4, who also did the installation and used my Procal to center the steering. Very handy little gadget for $130.

-meljr

Quick Reply: TPMS larger tires and stock rims