Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS Replacement ?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Replacement ?

What is needed to replace/exchange the TPMS sensors on to a new tire?

A tire shop is saying it will require new stems, and some sort of installation kit leading to a possible extra $60 in cost. Is this right? I have never dealt with TPMS so I want to make sure I am not getting screwed.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're keeping your factory wheels, i don't think you need to do anything. if you are getting new wheels, i believe you just need to take what's on your wheels now and install them on your new ones. unfortunately, i'm not 100% sure on this as i have an 07.

also, something you might want to consider getting is the new AEV programmer that northridge4x4 has been talking about as it will allow you to set your tpms to whatever psi you want - i.e. no more tpms light when running at lower psi
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

60 bucks for the sensor and kit or just the kit??? The kit is only like 3 bucks!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is advised by the industry to purchase and install a TPMS sensor service kit after every time you remove and reinstall the pressure sensor to prevent air leaks around the sensor. If you are NOT changing wheels (i.e. not removing sensors), this is a bogus charge.

These are very inexpensive kits and comprise a rubber gasket, valve core, stem cap and stem nut. They are just over $3 at any NAPA store, part # 92-0210.

If you are just transfereing the sensors over, you will not need to "reset" the sensors and nothing else is required but this little kit and it takes 2 seconds. There is no need to track what corner each sensor is located.

Simply call B.S. on them if they say it will cost more than $20 to do the 5 TPMS.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

When I got my new wheels, the tire shop simply took the sensors out of my factory wheels, and put them in my new wheels...at no extra charge. most new wheels need to have stems purchased anyways, so, you just simply use what is in your factory wheels. You DO NOT need to buy extra "stuff" to make them work.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
When I got my new wheels, the tire shop simply took the sensors out of my factory wheels, and put them in my new wheels...at no extra charge.

Yup, thats what my shop did too, but it was a 4x4 shop, not a shifty tire shop. I found out about the service kits after the fact.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you're keeping your factory wheels, i don't think you need to do anything. if you are getting new wheels, i believe you just need to take what's on your wheels now and install them on your new ones. unfortunately, i'm not 100% sure on this as i have an 07.

also, something you might want to consider getting is the new AEV programmer that northridge4x4 has been talking about as it will allow you to set your tpms to whatever psi you want - i.e. no more tpms light when running at lower psi
WOL...any word on the release date of this highly anticipated gadget.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dburgette
WOL...any word on the release date of this highly anticipated gadget.
I just spoke to David and he said within the next month or so!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I just spoke to David and he said within the next month or so!
I wouldnt hold your breath since its coming from AEV.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
I wouldnt hold your breath since its coming from AEV.
Lets just hope because it does not seem like there are vary many alternatives

Quick Reply: TPMS Replacement ?