Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trac Bar

Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac Bar

While torquing the nuts on my front trac bar, I stripped either the nut or bolt on the lower passenger side.
Any one else ever do this? Any suggestions or tricks for removing it?
I bought a new Teraflex Monster Trac Bar and want to get it installed ASAP!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stripped as in the wrench won't stay on or the threads are stripped. Either way maybe a high speed 4" grinder and cut the nut or the bolt head which ever is easiest.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Stripped the threads!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

A 4" high speed grinder with a cutoff wheel should do the trick to remove it. Just be sure to use the correct size grd 8 bolt when you go back together with it. torqe both bolts with the weight of the jeep on them.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Don't cut off the bolt head. I don't think there is room to push the bolt through. It will hit the axle. Get a wrench jammed in place on the nut and then get on the bolt with a big a big pair of vise grips. Pull on the bolt as you loosen. Once you can get some sort of pry bay or scraper under the bolt head you can wrench it off but keep pulling outward with the pry bar. Take your time. It will come. CM
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F200
Don't cut off the bolt head. I don't think there is room to push the bolt through. It will hit the axle. Get a wrench jammed in place on the nut and then get on the bolt with a big a big pair of vise grips. Pull on the bolt as you loosen. Once you can get some sort of pry bay or scraper under the bolt head you can wrench it off but keep pulling outward with the pry bar. Take your time. It will come. CM
I agree with this post. I stripped a bolt installing my winch when I overtightened it. It took like 15 minutes of pulling and turning with a vice grip and what seemed like 200 turns of the bolt but it finally caught and backed out.

In the end I am glad I did it this way because if I had gone to power tools it would have likely been a much bigger mess of issues to deal with after the bolt came out.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Yep I agree with not cutting the head of the bot off. But Really I am wondering how in the hell you strip a grade 8 bolt that big. Damn. That is what I call muscles. Most people have trouble getting them to torque spec.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Surprised the heck outa me too!!!! Thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: Trac Bar