Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual "Suspension Recommendation" request

Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I have a 2' crescent wrench.....you can get by with one and just tighten the heck out of em, but I'd rather have the two proper sized crows foot that allow you to use a torque wrench to tighten to spec, and as Dirtman adds....has a bit more clearance.

I originally used the crescent....but then bought the proper crows foot along the way. Much easier.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Having used the crow's foot, crescent, and proper sized wrench- the proper wrench was the easiest to use. Tractor supply has most of those large wrench sizes and they're priced reasonably. The Metalcloak puts your joints in places where you can actually get a wrench on them. The crow's foot tends to slip when you really get into it. The crescent isn't bad but it has more head on it than your standard wrench and you'll see the potential for slip. The proper wrench allowed me to get great torque on the jam nuts without skidding my knuckles on the frame.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

and if none of those suggestions for tightening jam nuts work out for you, you can always use my make shift control arm jam nut tightener jig.

- Bench vise
- Large C-Clamp
- Pipe Wrench
- 2' pipe from my floor jack slid over the handle of pipe wrench

A note on the pipe wrench, I've tried adjustable crescent wrenches and other larger/mid size pipe wrenches, the ones with the teeth, that didn't work that well for me. I inherited this one from my late grand father, I don't even know what brand it is, other than it says "Made in USA". It's a smaller size pipe wrench with a flat grip surface like a crescent wrench and adjusts the same as a crescent. It seems to work better than the pipe wrenches with teeth and the crescent wrenches because it doesn't have as much play as the crescents. This has worked the best for me because it allows for finer adjustment and puts a snug nice fit around the nut. Then due to the shorter handle length, I put the pipe over it, to get some real leverage going on it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Unusual "Suspension Recommendation" request