Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrade exhaust questions

Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the Rep from Dynomax was very helpful (Matt?) and warranty was a plus. I like the clean look at the rear of the Jeep no over sized muffler(stock) Or small aftermarket. A plus for me on that. I do like that there is no drone on the freeway and not to loud in town driving. Start up has a nice bubble rumble pop sound at idle and when down shifting too. I thought others sounded to close to rice burners, granted these are v6's not going to get a v8 sound, add in a header, new intake, and cat you will have better sound also not so much in HP (if any) and torque(if any) lol. Gains a so small May not even notice. I think we do it for the sound and it's a mod anything is better than OEM lol. Over all I'm very pleased and happy! Hope this helps! Any question ask. Semper Fi!

Sent from my free Obama iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
I currently have your 3 inch VTT that is a pre rear axle setup. I got installed about 6,000 miles ago and recently I notice I have some possible valve issues. Can I have my local shop send this in and exchange it. Do you think I should go down to a 2.5 inch even though I don't have a full length exhaust. I run 39's and 5.38 gears with a trail dash and drop in air filter.
So, I would suggest a 2.5" because 3" is a lot for these engines. Also I doubt you have the space, from your set-up, to mount this in the back, not pre- rear axle. I have heard it pre-axle and at idle it has a "pffts" sound.

Originally Posted by Kalitri35
that's the exhaust I have been looking into for a while now but I haven't made up my mind because there's so many choices. I've done the YouTube research and it always seems like a find a different one each time. what can u say you like the best about the dynomax?
Most like the price point, 90 day sound and performance guarantee, stainless steel construction and Made in the USA.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dynomax
So, I would suggest a 2.5" because 3" is a lot for these engines. Also I doubt you have the space, from your set-up, to mount this in the back, not pre- rear axle. I have heard it pre-axle and at idle it has a "pffts" sound. Most like the price point, 90 day sound and performance guarantee, stainless steel construction and Made in the USA.
thanks for quick response the shop is removing muffler today and switching it out with a 2.5 and hopefully can exchange the 3.0 inch with the 2.5 inch warranty wise
Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Got the jeep brought into the shop today and will be getting my muffler warrantied. The new VTT muffler has an upgraded internal valve so hopefully this one will hold up to the high rev 's that tend to happen up in the snow in northern Minn in the spring. Dynomax has my vote for great customer service and warranty !!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
Got the jeep brought into the shop today and will be getting my muffler warrantied. The new VTT muffler has an upgraded internal valve so hopefully this one will hold up to the high rev 's that tend to happen up in the snow in northern Minn in the spring. Dynomax has my vote for great customer service and warranty !!!
Nice!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody ever cut out the factory rez.? And just put in a pipe?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775
Well the Rep from Dynomax was very helpful (Matt?) and warranty was a plus. I like the clean look at the rear of the Jeep no over sized muffler(stock) Or small aftermarket. A plus for me on that. I do like that there is no drone on the freeway and not to loud in town driving. Start up has a nice bubble rumble pop sound at idle and when down shifting too. I thought others sounded to close to rice burners, granted these are v6's not going to get a v8 sound, add in a header, new intake, and cat you will have better sound also not so much in HP (if any) and torque(if any) lol. Gains a so small May not even notice. I think we do it for the sound and it's a mod anything is better than OEM lol. Over all I'm very pleased and happy! Hope this helps! Any question ask. Semper Fi!

Sent from my free Obama iPhone using JK-Forum
Nice, glad I could help!

Originally Posted by tribulation138
anybody ever cut out the factory rez.? And just put in a pipe?
You could do this, but you still have that rear bulky muffler hanging out in the back.

What I have seen a few do, is keep the resonator, and throw a Ultra Flo Welded round (P/N 17263) in line behind the res and lose that bulky rear muffler. Sounds isn't over the top. Smaller muffler and no more bulky rear.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Got my new upgraded muffler installed on Friday and I'm super pleased with the quiet sound on the freeway while the VTT valve is closed and the throaty sound when it opens up!!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on a Gibson axle back dual exhaust. I love the low rumble and sound it makes. Jeep sounds proper now, and it looks good, too!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Magnaflow tip down 17144 love the sound! When I first bought the jeep it drove like a car and I hated it lol

Quick Reply: Upgrade exhaust questions