Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value in a 2 Inch Lift

Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Value in a 2 Inch Lift

Hi everyone, sorry if these questions are in the wrong place. Although I’ve been reading through JK Forums for self help and ideas; I’m new to the rules of posting on forums and may have jacked this up.

I originally started with a YJ but traded in for a 2014 JKU Sport about a year ago with the desire to turn into into an overlander/DD. I’ve been wheeling it as much as I can stock (except for swapping out for some Rubicon shocks/springs and rails). I think now I’m ready to start making some budget mods.

So this brings me to my questions (if you’re still with me, thanks, I know my intro got long winded). I want to enhance my JKU’s off-road capabilities but maintain a comfortable and decent MPG DD. Since I purchased Rubicon take offs I kind of want to run these out a little longer since I like the ride it provides.

1. Would 2in lift be a wise way to do this? Seems like a good way to be able to run a larger tire and give more travel without requiring a lot of modification to the suspension (can’t afford it now but plan for upgrades later). Is it a wiser bet to go with a 2.5in lift? How much if a difference is the 1/2in?

2. Looking into the RE 2in Economy Lift. Has anyone ran this kit? What are your thoughts on the kit? How much lift did you see? Did you run 33s or stretch to 35s? Any issues result from the lift?

3. If I end up getting this kit I plan on running the rear sway bar end links on the front. Would I need extended sway bar end link for the rear or could I run the stock size end link in the rear? Any other considerations/upgrades needed for the geometry? I’ve heard mixed information on 2in not requiring much.

4. So measuring in stock I have 21.5in from center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender both sides front and just above 22in in the rear. If I were to get a genuine 2in of lift what max tire size would I be safe with?

5. I know one day I want to do a full suspension lift but for now my budget and mechanical skills point me in the budget boost direction. Anyone have any alternative recommendations?

i appreciate everyone’s time and opinions
Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo982.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	677188

For liftmeasurements, these are what you are looking for. The rear is less important than the front.

How heavy your Jeep is will determine lift height. My 2door is about 800lbs. Over stock without fuel or passengers. My old Teraflex lift was only giving me about 1.25in of lift in the front, and was actually about stock height in the rear maybe a little less. My new RK 3.5 2 door springs put me a bit taller than 2.5 (maybe more like 3). If you keep your stock fenders without cutting them you will have trouble if you want to go 35s. Wider tires will require new wheels or wheel spacers. At 2in and 33 I don't think you'll need much else. Move the rear sway bar links to the front, and get longer rears. Remove the front lower brake line brackets to allow more length. Get rear brake line drop brackets, or preferably new longer rear brake lines.

Last edited by tjkamp; 08-28-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Bolt on lifts do not increase your off road capability. They will give you room for bigger tires. You are correct that 2" lifts don't require a lot of suspension or steering modifications. Almost no kit is going to give you exactly the height that is advertised unless it is a coil spacer lift. If you want more flex up front get some sway bar disconnects and install longer links on the rear (or lengthen yours). The new jeeps have longer brake and ABS lines so if you have an older JK you might need to relocate or lengthen those lines. Shocks will determine this. Tires also do not measure true to size and factor in on how much clearance you need. You will also need wheel adapters or new wheels with smaller back spacing when going to a taller wider tire. Pick the tire you want to run then lift around it. Flat fenders give you room for larger tires but tend to cost more then a budget lift. You are also ignoring gearing and are talking maybe 35" tires. The JK is pretty tires size sensitive when it comes to gears, so if budget is an issue this might be a deal breaker as gears run $1500+ installed.

Would start with what gears your sport has now its either 3.21 or 3.73 neither is good for 35" tires but 3.21 will be real bad both on road and off with 35" tires. 4.10 or 4.56 is a better fit and will make your off road capability better allowing to to crawl in more control and it takes some of the stress off the drivetrain.

Figure your budget.

Pick your desired tire size. Personally I think it is a waste of good money to move from a 32" tire to a 33" tire. 35's make the most sense and will give you the performance gains you seek with a minimal budget boost lift.

You can click the link in my sig for some more info on lifts.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I started on a budget boost from Procomp. One of those free installation if you buy the lift deals. Honestly did not make that much difference and the springs started sagging very quickly. Was never happy with the budget boost. I wish I had put that money into other mods and then when I had the cash, I could do the lift the right way. I pulled the 2.5" out probably within a year. I now run a Metalcloak setup and could not be happier.

If you do go with 2.5", think I would buy from a high end lift manufacturer. Quality will be excellent. I imagine a Metalcloak-type company puts the same time and energy into their 1.5 and 2.5 lifts as the do the bigger ones. They want to grab you as a customer for life. And quality will keep the height longer.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman;4327797[color=#e74c3c
]Bolt on lifts do not increase your off road capability.

I bet metal cloak, aev, RK, TF etc would be disagree. I normally agree with you but I don't here. How can better shocks, more articulation and more belly clearance not help offroad?

Last edited by jadmt; 08-28-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 09 in 2013 with 85k miles on it and stock suspension was sagging. Went on a trail ride and the bottom got loaded with mud and was dragging the skids.

This is my DD and I knew I was not going to do a lot of off roading or add 35" tires so I went with an RK 1.5" kit with LCAs, front TB, braided brake lines and upgraded shocks. I got every bit of the 1.5" and that was after adding 400lbs of skids, rock rails and bumper. I opted for LCG and skids approach and I've been very happy with it.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2015 two door Rubicon. I run a 2" AEV spacer lift and love it. With this lift, stock flares, and stock wheels I was able to run 285/70 R17 tires. I put two washers on each steering stop and never had any rubbing even when articulating. I was never disconnect or did any extreme articulating so I can't speak to that but no rubbing otherwise. I recently went to 35's. This required flat flares, new wheels with 4.5 BS, rock rail trim, air dam trim and a bumper chop for good measure. I'm really happy with my Jeep. Great ride, no rubbing, less lift means less stress on components. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Last edited by Jeep801; 08-31-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s a great looking rig! Thanks everyone for the replies. Gives me a lot to think about as I keep searching for a lift
Old 08-30-2018, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I bet metal cloak, aev, RK, TF etc would be disagree. I normally agree with you but I don't here. How can better shocks, more articulation and more belly clearance not help offroad?
So would a jeep on 32's with open diffs and 12" of lift be more off road capable then a jeep with 37's with lockers and 2.5" of lift?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
So would a jeep on 32's with open diffs and 12" of lift be more off road capable then a jeep with 37's with lockers and 2.5" of lift?
Not at all. Not even close to what I said, so not sure where you came up with that? you said a bolt on lift did not increase offroad capability, nothing about bigger tires and lockers. a jeep on 32" and lockers and quality 2.5/3.5" lift should be more capable than a stock suspension jeep with 32" tires and lockers. does anyone even make a bolt on 12" lift .

Quick Reply: Value in a 2 Inch Lift