Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Volant Cold Air Intake Installed

Old 07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant Cold Air Intake Installed

Chalk up another for the Volant installed.

First impressions:

WAS NOT IMPRESSED THAT THERE WERE NO INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE!!!

Also don't think I got the proper hose fitment (between the tube and the filter box). Supposed to be a bump hose as Ive seen in other photos, but this one was just straight. Anyone help me out with that one???

Second impressions:

Ok, besides that, I'm actually quite impressed with this modification. My brother strapped a CAI on his 6.0 GTO from Volant, and I was quite impressed with the quality and fitment into his GTO, so I decided that this brand would work out fine for me.

INSTALL: With instructions or without, it wasn't difficult at all. Glad I had some prewarning from this message board about the damn Air Temp Sensor. I would have messed that up for sure. Other than that, very easy, less than 1 hour total.

TEST DRIVE: Wow, this thing makes a nice grunt, that's for sure. Slight improvement in performance, a little less lag is detected as well (which is my biggest complaint with this Jeep).

Grunt is noticable right around 2000 RPM, and will remain and get louder if you bury your accelerator all the way through about 5000 RPM or so.

I've detected a bit of that annoying whistle or squeal when applying steady throttle around 40-50 MPH. I think that it could be eliminated by increasing the diameter of the input for the small rubber hose. It worked with my CAI on my Xterra, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for the JK. I might give it a try if it keeps up.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. Cannot report fuel economy increase as of yet.

My old fuel economy was 17 MPG city, so I'll let you know what the outcome will be for adding this CAI.

Hope someone finds this write up useful.

BTW, paid $300 bucks for it at 4wheelparts if anyone is curious.

-Mike

PICS for the PIC whores!!!

Notice how the open cone filter is protected from heat A LOT better than any other company can offer....

Last edited by K9Jeeper; 07-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bighaeb,

Thanks for the quick impression of the Volant intake. I've been curious about that set up. Once you get an idea of any mpg changes let us know.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jasson
Bighaeb,

Thanks for the quick impression of the Volant intake. I've been curious about that set up. Once you get an idea of any mpg changes let us know.
Just got back from a 15 mile drive through the city, and the on board display went from showing around 18 MPG (which was really 17) to 21.6. I'm going to be REAL HAPPY if I truely get a 4 or 5 MPG increase. I'm probably not going to have the accurate data until I can fill a tank and drain it, but surely there is an increase because there were plenty of stop lights, it's 97 degrees, and I did a couple of wide open launches, but yet, I still yielded 3.6 MPG better on the display. We'll see.......Stay tuned.....
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

is it still water resistent if you drive through creeks?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

No, this is not a water resistant air filter at all, and really, your stock box is as good as it gets until snorkels come out. In fact, there is a round opening on the bottom side of the box as well. The reason behind the box on all Volant air filter kits is to reduce the heat coming from the engine bay into the fitler like most open air filters get exposed to.

In no way is this box setup for a future snorkel kit, unless (like you said), you get a replacement box with the snorkel kit.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gt3073b
I'm sure there will be some disappointed people when they hear that. I think that was the best hope for a removable snorkel kit.

I'd still love to see what is under the cover of that box...

Bryan.

Basically, you remove the top cover, and you have a circular, open air filter as seen through the opening. If you remove that, you'll see an opening, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter coming out the bottom, offset on the right hand side. I'd take it off and take a picture for you, but I've gotten to the point where I just wanna be lazy until the wife gets home. Sorry.

Maybe this gigantic freakin picture helps???? yes no?????

Last edited by K9Jeeper; 07-06-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

To answer your question, yes, it was supposed to be a 'hump hose' and comparing your pics to my install, they are two different parts.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by histrung
To answer your question, yes, it was supposed to be a 'hump hose' and comparing your pics to my install, they are two different parts.
Thanks for the heads up. Just got off the phone with tech support (can't believe I got through in one try), and that was an intentional part swap. They claim that there is a bit more power availiable without the hump hose, and just using the straight sleeve instead. Also talked to him about the whistling sound, and he said that you're not going to get rid of it and that it is to be considered normal. I'll take his word for it.

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air Intake Installed