Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to paint my grill flat black?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to paint my grill flat black?

Hey guys iam wantin to paint my grill flat black. But iam not sure what's the best paint for the job . What is every one uesing?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bedliner. Or if you want a somewhat temporary solution, try PlastiDip. In fact....try Plastidip first to see if you like the look of the black grille. If so, peel off and paint.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JKAG
Hey guys iam wantin to paint my grill flat black. But iam not sure what's the best paint for the job . What is every one uesing?
I'll be the first one to say Plati dip. The stuff is great for this type of mod. Plasti dip is a high build rubberized coating that will not only change the look of your grill like you want, but also protect the grill against stone throws. The best part is, if you want to go back to stock for any reason, you can just peel it off! Here is a thread all about Jeeps and "Dip" and you can go on dipyourcar.com for more info.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used Rustoleum spay on bed liner, prepped it with a light sanding and a good cleaning
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3558914986.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	515735  
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTRyan
I'll be the first one to say Plati dip. The stuff is great for this type of mod. Plasti dip is a high build rubberized coating that will not only change the look of your grill like you want, but also protect the grill against stone throws. The best part is, if you want to go back to stock for any reason, you can just peel it off! Here is a thread all about Jeeps and "Dip" and you can go on dipyourcar.com for more info.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan
+1 on this.

I plastidiped mine, 4 coats of black (less than 1 whole can) and 2 coats of clear to give it a satin like finish.

The ability to remove this product if so desired is / was a huge selling point to me as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Bedliner. Or if you want a somewhat temporary solution, try PlastiDip. In fact....try Plastidip first to see if you like the look of the black grille. If so, peel off and paint.
Exactly what I did to make sure I like the look before I did something permanent. Its pretty cool stuff to come in a can.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

i plasti dipped mine. did really well actually. didnt hold up to love bug season down here in the south. but those little a-holes have acid in their guts (they eat your paint anyway). Just peeled it off last week to prep it to do it again. I highly suggest it! it went through a TON of washes even.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep front 1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	515739  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Raptor liner. It's easy to use and much more durable compared to rustoleum, that stuff is garbage IMO. The plastidip is meant to be temporary, leave it on for more than a year and you'll kick yourself hard when it comes time to remove it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130923_133641.jpg
Views:	1236
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	515745

Last edited by MFX; 12-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Want to paint my grill flat black?