Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kit to get for true 2-2.5" lift? Sounds like OME 2" gives 3-3.5"

Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kit to get for true 2-2.5" lift? Sounds like OME 2" gives 3-3.5"

I wanted a 2" l ift for my stock 2010 JK and was considering the OME 2" kit, but the more I read, the more it sounds like it gives more than a 2" lift when all is done. I don't really want something that high.

What kit do you recommend for a true 2 (or 2.5 max) lift?

One thing that appealed to me about the OME kit was that it could be ordered with either heavy or light duty coils, and I'd prefer heavy (used to driving a solid axle HD truck, I like the stiff ride). Also less chance of sag when adding heavy bumpers or winch, right?

What other 2-2.5" kits offer heavy duty coils?

Also - with your kit recommendation - what else will I need to order (adjustable track bar? various extension parts? brake line hanger? etc...)

My goals:

- conservative 2-2.5" lift
- likely to run 33x10.5 tires on a 6x8 rim with about 4.5" backspacing
- level out the rake
- retain all factory stability controls, etc..
- don't want to mess up / prematurely wear things like U-joints or other parts as a result of the lift. This is where I need some help... but please advise on the other points too

Thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the OME kit with the HD coils on my rig.

This is not an actual 2" lift. I think (but this is just a rumour) that there's a limit on how much you can lift a vehicle in Australia, so I think that's why OME bills it as a 2" lift.

I got about 3 or 3.5 inches from my OME lift. I'm very happy with the "Frankenlift" approach of adding control arms, track bars, and other components from other manufacturers. It worked very well for me.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

If all you are going to run is 33's, I wouldnt bother with a coil lift. Get a Teraflex leveling kit and you wont have to change anything else in the suspension.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm installing the OME regular coils in a few weeks. With OME HD coils, you'll get tons of lift.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi

I went with a RE 2" BB with monoshocks as my first lift to fit my 33x12.5R17 STT's and not rub while disco'ed and full flexed. This kit took the stock rake and leveled my JKU. This is a great kit but you may want to consider the TF 2.5"BB also have heard great reviews!

But with you mentioning future bumper and winchs....I highly recommend you consider a coil spring lift kit. OME will have LD, MD, HD coil springs.

I went HD OME Coils as I added my front bumper and winch and it dropped my lift over 1" with my stock coil springs. So, I replaced my RE BB with the HD OME coil springs and it gave me +3" of lift even with my front bumper and winch. I am thinking over time it will sag and eventually drop to about 2.75" of lift.

Another coil spring I was considering was the TF 2.5" coil spring and this also I have heard gives over 3" of lift with bumpers & winch.

With the OME HD coil springs I did have to add JKS adj front/rear trac bars to center my axles, also added Lower front control arms to bring my caster closer to stock, longer rear swaybar links. If you want you can swap the front links with your rear links or purchase some longer quick discos. However, I did reuse my RE monoshocks and bumpstops from my 2" BB but you would need to add this to your list for the lift if you are starting from stock. Brakelines I just used the cheapo brakeline bracket extension writeup and I did not put any coil spring retainer clips either.

So, you will spend more on this but you won't have any issues of stock coil springs sagging with new bumpers and winch.

If you only want 2" of lift I would maybe consider the MD OME coil springs.

Here is a picture of my OME HD coil springs on 33's to see the tire/fender gap. The rear I will be adding a LoD bumper/tire carrier and this should level the JKU out.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-09-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

> If all you are going to run is 33's, I wouldnt bother with a coil lift. Get a Teraflex leveling kit and you wont have to change anything else in the suspension.

Now that would be sweet. I definitely don't plan on anything larger than 33. In facft 33 is just about right for me. You sure the Teraflex leveling kit is all I need?? No rubs, etc.? What does it do, just raise the front end? Think I could get away with stock 16x7 rims with 33 x 10.5 tires, or would I likely need to go for an aftermarket rim with approx 4.5" backspacing to avoid rubs? If I can use stock rims, great... Or maybe just go with an even narrower 33....

Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Get a RC 2.5 or terraflex 2.5 INCH spacer lift kit and extended shocks...perfect for 33's...ulle need 1.5 inch spacers for a 12.5 inch width tyre or if youre buying rims 4.5 backspacing...

KSK

Last edited by ksk; 04-09-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
JK Jedi

The 2.5" TF BB will fit 35's easily....but I tell you once you get your winch and front bumper...your stock springs are gonna SAG BIG TIME and ride quality will go down or I would not bother with the bumpstops if you go with the TF BB and add a winch and bumper.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talk with david at northridge, I have a 2dr rubicon went with the HD springs got 3.25 once I add bumpers and a winch sure it will drop just below 3. I 've seen alot of JK's with everything from BB to 4.5 lifts. BB's are good to get you on bigger tires, they do have some limitations for flex ect.. once you add new bumper/winch, rear bumper bigger tire they will sag, If you have the budget a spring lift is the way to go, just plan on adding other things like ext brake lines, track bars, drive shafts, control arms it never ends!! Remember JEEP just empty ever pocket. BB are great they do get you lifted, like I said it all a matter of budget vs how you plan to use your jeep.

Jeep with OME HD lift 35's

Poser shot

poser shot with lift and stock 32's show's the flex

Last edited by bab1234; 04-11-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I would go with a BB. A coil spacer is going to give you very predictable amounts of lift.

Quick Reply: What kit to get for true 2-2.5" lift? Sounds like OME 2" gives 3-3.5"