Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what tools for lift install

Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what tools for lift install

i have a 2.5" teraflex coil lift that i will be installing once i get some time and by new wheels and tires come in. my question to those that have installed it or know about it is:

What tools do i need other than a jack and stands? like what size sockets and other things?

thanks in advanced guys...this is an awesome forum
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the project-jk.com TeraFlex BB write-up...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

The list of tools you will need is probably very similar to this:

• 10,16,18,19,21mm Socket/Wrenches
• 7/16,1/2,5/8,13/16″ Socket/Wrenches
• 3/8″ & 1/2″ Drive Ratchets
• 3″ Ratchet Drive Extension
• 6″-12″ Ratchet Drive Extension
• Ft. Lb. Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• Crescent Wrench
• 21″ Floor Jack
• (2) Tall Jack Stands
• Wheel Chocks
• White Lithium Grease
• Long Ratchet Strap
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

One other tool that will help with this lift, even though not needed, would be a coil spring compressor tool. The rears coils go in great and the drivers side front went in ok for me, but the passenger side front coil was a pain in the butt to get in and ended up having to crack out the coil spring compressor tool to save some frustration...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most of the suspension bolts are either 18 or 21 mm. I would recommend a complete metric socket set with extensions, a big crescent wrench or a set of metric open end wrenches up to 21mm. I also needed a pry bar (tire iron) for wedging my 4" springs onto their mounts. Of course, air tools help speed things up a bunch. Definitely a couple of tall jack stands and a floor jack. I did mine with no help other than for centering the steering wheel, but it sure would have been handy to have a friend helping out.

Note that 18mm seems to be a rare size socket. Many sets seem to skip it for some unknown reason.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually went out looking for a coil spring compressor after spending about 45 minutes trying to get the front springs in, but it was too late at night, so I came back and managed to get them on without it.

Originally Posted by GL08JK
One other tool that will help with this lift, even though not needed, would be a coil spring compressor tool. The rears coils go in great and the drivers side front went in ok for me, but the passenger side front coil was a pain in the butt to get in and ended up having to crack out the coil spring compressor tool to save some frustration...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
I actually went out looking for a coil spring compressor after spending about 45 minutes trying to get the front springs in, but it was too late at night, so I came back and managed to get them on without it.
Did you disconnect your swaybar and shocks? I got my tera 3" front springs in without spring compressors pretty easy but I have seen some have issues. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh ya. and lowered the axle as far as possible without ripping out the abs sensor wires. ended up sort of twisting the axle a bit, raising the opposite side to lower the side I was working on. Still, just barely able to do it with the help of a 24" tire iron pry bar. I did get like 5.5" of lift in the front

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Did you disconnect your swaybar and shocks? I got my tera 3" front springs in without spring compressors pretty easy but I have seen some have issues. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
Oh ya. and lowered the axle as far as possible without ripping out the abs sensor wires. ended up sort of twisting the axle a bit, raising the opposite side to lower the side I was working on. Still, just barely able to do it with the help of a 24" tire iron pry bar. I did get like 5.5" of lift in the front
That is the difference! I cut the wires free from the brake line and installed extended lines. Maybe that made the diff?

Quick Reply: what tools for lift install