Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel spacer question....1.25 or 1.50

Old 11-11-2006, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel spacer question....1.25 or 1.50

I am hoping my rims run roughly fluch with the flares. Would people recomend going with the 1.25 or the 1.5 spidertrax spacers for this. I think the 1.5 may push the tires past the flares where the 1.25 maybe just right.... not sure they have been released yet but believe shortly! Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both Northridge 4X4 (who is a forum sponser which gives us 5% off and they have free shipping) and Quadratec have them in stock. I have never been too keen on wheel spacers being an Engineer. If I had to do it I would probably stick with the 1.25 spacers.

Go pull out your ruler and see how much 1/4" really is. Why do that little spacing for the extra moment on the axles?

Just my .02. Feel free to take with a grain a salt as my wife usually does 3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	75962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	75963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4434.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	75964  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually, the only wheel spacers that Spidertrax makes for the Jeep JK Wrangler is 1.5". The extra .25" is needed to clear the factory wheel studs and with out it, you would need to cut down your wheels studs respectively.

As far as wheel spacers themselves go, so long as you get high quality ones that bolt onto your axle and then your wheels to them (like Spidertrax makes), they should behave no differently or cause any more problems than would a wheel with less backspacing.

Name:	g7..jpg
Views:	127
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	85843   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-6-26 Rausch Creek 029..jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	85844   Click image for larger version

Name:	she finished..jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	85845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-6-26 Rausch Creek 031..jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	85846   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc4..jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	85847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-6-26 Rausch Creek 024..jpg
Views:	89
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	85848   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc9..jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	85849  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

how well do the spacers hold up to hard wheeling with bigger tires? like say if they were to be used with the new Jeep/hutchinson beadlocks with 35-37 inch tires?

Name:	DSC01632.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	273820  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not trying to stir this pot but be careful if you use spacers. Wheel-off is a much bigger risk with them. Avoid letting anyone of questionable mechanic skills take off your wheel for any reason.... Ask service techs to re-torque the spacer whenever a wheel is removed. You should never use the thin slip on spacers, and the bolt on spacers should be of high quality..... and please don't visit your tire shop and bitch to the tire techs about out of balance/out of round tires that shake at XXmph. Spacers are not hub-centric, they are lug-centric and therefore almost never center exactly, when he spin balances your tires for the 3rd time in a week it won't fix anything. because he'll bolt them back on to the hub and they may center up or they may not.... nothing to do with the tire or him or the balance.

signed, a disgruntled former tire tech.

Name:	topmonarch..jpg
Views:	232
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	76202   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepontop..jpg
Views:	111
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	76203  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by fiyerbirdie
I'm not trying to stir this pot but be careful if you use spacers. Wheel-off is a much bigger risk with them. Avoid letting anyone of questionable mechanic skills take off your wheel for any reason.... Ask service techs to re-torque the spacer whenever a wheel is removed. You should never use the thin slip on spacers, and the bolt on spacers should be of high quality..... and please don't visit your tire shop and bitch to the tire techs about out of balance/out of round tires that shake at XXmph. Spacers are not hub-centric, they are lug-centric and therefore almost never center exactly, when he spin balances your tires for the 3rd time in a week it won't fix anything. because he'll bolt them back on to the hub and they may center up or they may not.... nothing to do with the tire or him or the balance.

Well said, but I should point out that the Spidertrax spacers are hub-centric. Or, at least that's what they have told me.

Name:	IMG_0605..jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	76217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606..jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	76218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604..jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	76219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603..jpg
Views:	406
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	76220  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKwannabe
how well do the spacers hold up to hard wheeling with bigger tires? like say if they were to be used with the new Jeep/hutchinson beadlocks with 35-37 inch tires?
If installed properly, they should behave no differently than would a wheel with less backspacing. But then, for the kind of money it would take to get the Hutchinson beadlocks, why not just get a different wheel that has the backspacing you need?

Name:	2010-07-09%2019.29.41..jpg
Views:	272
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	76221  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Well said, but I should point out that the Spidertrax spacers are hub-centric. Or, at least that's what they have told me.
As I remove the odorous, corned, ingrown nailed foot from my mouth I see that spydertrax spacers ARE hub-centric. However everything else stands.... make sure whoever puts them on has skills..... make plans to do a re-torque on the spacers and the wheels within a few days of install. (they say 50-100 miles) and even if you keep em clean many years from now when that pretty aluminum starts building up corrosion more care must be taken to get the wheel to seat soundly. It's very doable... but just be careful...
... other than that if I MUST run a spacer I'd use that paticular brand... looks like a good quality product.

thanks for the correction Way
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fiyerbirdie

I don't want to beat a dead horse, BUT....
Lugcentric? I understand what you mean by this, but he implication is that the lug pattern is not hub centric. If that is the case wouldn't the tires be off center even without spacers installed? Also if there are two different centerlines how can a spacer claim to be hub centric when it has to bolt to lug's center? I suppose the spacer's tolerancees added to the lugs's tolerances could add up to a perceivable off center condition, but machine tolerances are usally so small it's hard to imagine.:confused:

Name:	mtjku..jpg
Views:	415
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	78592  
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
I don't want to beat a dead horse, BUT....
Lugcentric? I understand what you mean by this, but he implication is that the lug pattern is not hub centric. If that is the case wouldn't the tires be off center even without spacers installed? Also if there are two different centerlines how can a spacer claim to be hub centric when it has to bolt to lug's center? I suppose the spacer's tolerancees added to the lugs's tolerances could add up to a perceivable off center condition, but machine tolerances are usally so small it's hard to imagine.:confused:
Yes, in fact the lug pattern is CONcentric with the the hub...... however the hole in the wheel (or spacer) is not fit to the lug stud it is much bigger hole... and in reality the cone seat lug nuts do not do enough to center the assembly on the hub. That is why the mfr uses hubcentric wheels. the lugs do nothing to center the assembly only serve as a way of keeping it on.

This is really a moot point with mud terrain tires anyway, and any man here should grab a straw and suck it up if he feels a lil vibration from his all terrains... and if you're the "glass ass" that complains of his jeep shaking at 80mph and you know your tire shop workers by name cause your always there for "free rebalancing" then you're already on the dark side, and I hope all your tires fall off. j/k

Quick Reply: wheel spacer question....1.25 or 1.50