Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why can't i run 37s ???

Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do the c gusstes actually do
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know many on here have lots more experience with jeeps than myself , but i keep hearing all these possible scenarios about bent this or that with 37s . and i know it has happened to some , but what gets me is i have a two co workers that have older toyotas ( one guy actually has two ) and two of them are on 40s and they beat the livin shit outta them and all are on stock axles and they never have problems . i dont know who makes the toyota solid axle ( toyota i presume) but surely it cAnt be any stronger than a 30 or 44 , any insight on this ?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
i know many on here have lots more experience with jeeps than myself , but i keep hearing all these possible scenarios about bent this or that with 37s . and i know it has happened to some , but what gets me is i have a two co workers that have older toyotas ( one guy actually has two ) and two of them are on 40s and they beat the livin shit outta them and all are on stock axles and they never have problems . i dont know who makes the toyota solid axle ( toyota i presume) but surely it cAnt be any stronger than a 30 or 44 , any insight on this ?
I think most Toyota solid front axles are the ball type spindle (not sure on the actual name) which are a completely different design than a Jeep C type spindle so your comparing apples to oranges. The C's on modern Jeeps were under designed for what people are doing to, and with the Jeeps. Its sad because a few well placed gussets in the mold for the ends and heavier wall tubes would have made them far more rugged from the factory at very little extra cost. Heck crawl under and look at the C's and you can "see" that they are under designed just by looking at them.

Rob
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran 37's and an FT 3" lift for over a year with stock fenders and say off-road time. But I also had stock bumpers front and rear.

Basically what you need to do is run 4" bumpstops and it will work just fine. You'll get some rubbing at full stuff but it's not too bad.

If you have aftermarket bumpers and a winch, I would suggest going with 1" spacers front and rear at least. My FT coils sagged a bit once I added heavy aftermarket bumpers.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
I think most Toyota solid front axles are the ball type spindle (not sure on the actual name) which are a completely different design than a Jeep C type spindle so your comparing apples to oranges. The C's on modern Jeeps were under designed for what people are doing to, and with the Jeeps. Its sad because a few well placed gussets in the mold for the ends and heavier wall tubes would have made them far more rugged from the factory at very little extra cost. Heck crawl under and look at the C's and you can "see" that they are under designed just by looking at them.

Rob
thanks for clearing that up , the toyota a les do look spindley as hell though
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

I run 37's on a 3.5" lift

You need to chop your flares, chop you inner fender liners, and bump stop it...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a 4.5" long arm kit with true 37's and stock flare. I had full range of motion and no rubbing. Remember that "37" inch tires can vary in height by more than an inch and also more than an inch in width. Rim width can further shorten/widen the tire.

Most pics I see in this thread are a/t type tires. Meaning mostly on road with some off road. Limiting up travel is ok for those wheeling moderately.

Also. Things break with larger tires. This upgrade greatly increases your rolling mass, putting pressure on you C's, ring and pinion and factory parts like track bar mounts and lockers that weren't built for these tire sizes. Remember that a new JKU is very heavy once you start upgrading.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SBEII
Maybe Matt5Gt will chime in. He just sold his '12 JKU. He was running 37" Nittos on Pintler wheels with a 3" Full Traction lift. Oh, and cut fenders. And for the record, it saw plenty of off road time. He's on you tube at the Gulches if you want to check it out.
I think this is a video of his JKUR at gulches. I don't know him personally but I think this is him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HjM...e_gdata_player
Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running 37.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1520177780.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	366471  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman333

I think this is a video of his JKUR at gulches. I don't know him personally but I think this is him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HjM...e_gdata_player
Yup. That's him.

Quick Reply: Why can't i run 37s ???