Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I want power back & am I forgetting anything?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I want power back & am I forgetting anything?

Will I be wanting more power? If so, where should I regain it? Regearing? CAI/Exhaust, other?

JK stock specs: 2011 2 Door Automatic Tranny with 3.73 gearing.
Coming upgrades: AEV 3.5" lift, Duratrac 315/70-17, Procomp 7069 (17x9)
Driving habits: 70% on road, 20% mixed winter driving, 10% mild off-roading. towing around 1000 miles/year (up to 2000 lbs)

PLEASE, give any suggestions! Including other parts I may want to get with the lift and tires too.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Flashpaq, I just got mine and it's amazing! I threw on the 91 octane tune after giving it a tank of midgrade and it was like a new jeep on stock tires again! I can't wait to regear and see what difference that makes on top of this! Mileage went up too!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Forced induction!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Regear is the only option unless you do a V8 swap.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Will I be wanting more power?
Opinions vary. Some are ok with stock gears after getting bigger tires. I thought my auto was under-geared/under-powered straight from the factory.

Your cheapest option will be to just turn OD Off. Plug some numbers into the chart in the modified faq's. With 3.73's, you will find that 35's with od off is roughly the same rpm at 70 as running 5.38's with od on. (divide the od on rpm by .69 to get od off).

Programmers will adjust the speedo and get the shift points back where they need to be. (no added hp/torque through tuning)

Tuners will do what the programmers do, but also add a bit of hp/touque. They claim 10-20 hp or so, which you may or may not feel. (many people are impressed with them, I sold my flashpaq and kept the procal )

CAI/Exhaust you will feel, but are fairly expensive for the gains.

Regearing doesn't add 'power', it just raises the rpm's back to a more usable range. If you can afford it, this is generally considered to be the best gains after going to bigger tires.

Supercharger/turbo/v-8 swap - if you can afford it
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Everyone's needs are different. I would drive it first and go from there. You will definitely want to calibrate for the larger tires, and being that you tow, a regear will probably be the best cost effective option. As mentioned, keep the OD off, especially on the interstate.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gear according to tire size and purchase a programmer for changes. Hot air intakes and aftermarket exhaust only lighten your wallet. Or go big and get a supercharger.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
Gear according to tire size and purchase a programmer for changes. Hot air intakes and aftermarket exhaust only lighten your wallet. Or go big and get a supercharger.
This,,,with an auto I'd go with 5.13's (in fact thats what I did).
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
cfr
JK Freak

I've read almost every performance thread. In order of price, here is the collective wisdom,

1. Superchips Flashpaq (tow tune for the win!)
2. Regear
4. RIPP long-tube headers
5. Supercharger
6. Engine swap

Everything else is debatable. Some "mods" actually decrease power.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

So many opinions! Thanks everyone! What is the average price of regearing? And would anyone recommend a particular brand, only name I'm recognizing is Superior. Also should I just get both ring and pinion sets or will I be needing to get the rebuild kit for whomever I have change these out.

I guess this would be the prime time to put lockers in too. Lol. Probably won't bother though. Not yet.

Quick Reply: Will I want power back & am I forgetting anything?