Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I want power back & am I forgetting anything?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regear is between $1500-2500. Have them put lockers on at same time so you dont pay labor twice. Have the place doing the gears order the parts and give warranty. This way they cant say it was your parts that were bad. Gears themselves are about $1000 and labor is about $1000 give or take each.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
So many opinions! Thanks everyone! What is the average price of regearing? And would anyone recommend a particular brand, only name I'm recognizing is Superior. Also should I just get both ring and pinion sets or will I be needing to get the rebuild kit for whomever I have change these out.

I guess this would be the prime time to put lockers in too. Lol. Probably won't bother though. Not yet.
Last I heard, all of the gears were still be coming out of the same factories in asia, so there shouldn't be any huge differences in quality to consider. Look at price and warranty. Yukon and G2 generally get good reviews, but again, i don't know if there is any real difference or if it is just people having good luck with them.

If your axles are low mileage, you might be able to get away with regular install kits. But, new bearings are a good thing. Consider getting master kits regardless. You should be able to find both sets of gears + master install kits for around $550. Labor will vary by location, check with all of your local shops, and try to get reviews and recommendations on their work. (there are a few places in texas and california that charge around $1000 for gears/labor/out the door, $1500-1800 is fairly average, and some east coast and upper northwest folks post about charges in the $2000+ range)

Depending on your needs, and if the budget allows, this is definitely the time to install traction devices. If you want some suggestions, post your usage/needs and budget. (for the non-hardcore crowd, hard to beat a pair of truetracs, which can be had for less than the price of a single selectable.)

This one is a good overview:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Last I heard, all of the gears were still be coming out of the same factories in asia, so there shouldn't be any huge differences in quality to consider. Look at price and warranty. Yukon and G2 generally get good reviews, but again, i don't know if there is any real difference or if it is just people having good luck with them.

If your axles are low mileage, you might be able to get away with regular install kits. But, new bearings are a good thing. Consider getting master kits regardless. You should be able to find both sets of gears + master install kits for around $550. Labor will vary by location, check with all of your local shops, and try to get reviews and recommendations on their work. (there are a few places in texas and california that charge around $1000 for gears/labor/out the door, $1500-1800 is fairly average, and some east coast and upper northwest folks post about charges in the $2000+ range)

Depending on your needs, and if the budget allows, this is definitely the time to install traction devices. If you want some suggestions, post your usage/needs and budget. (for the non-hardcore crowd, hard to beat a pair of truetracs, which can be had for less than the price of a single selectable.)

This one is a good overview:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101
Sounds like good advice. I've been looking at Yukon a bit. Budget for gears and lockers will be $2500. Cheap is nice but I'll save longer to get a better product even if it costs more. I'd rather get what will work longer and more reliably than something cheap. Driving usage is in my first post. Keep in mind my off roading is mainly trail riding and significant amounts of snow/ice.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

for the non-hardcore crowd, hard to beat a pair of truetracs, which can be had for less than the price of a single selectable.

You don't need thousand dollar selectables (arb/ox/etc.), you don't want auto-lockers with the snow/ice (detroit/lunchbox/etc), so do a few searches on the truetrac. Great full case, gear driven, limited slip - no clutches to wear out. Performs well on snow/ice. And will keep up with the locked folks until you get onto the hard-core tires-in-the-air trails.

Quick Reply: Will I want power back & am I forgetting anything?