Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winter Off-road tire

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrac

I'll second the Duratrac, really agressive AT, the outer tread has lots of clean outs while the center is pretty much a snow tire. And, as all ready stated, they are studable. Not sure you can get them in 35x12.5 though. I got 295/65R18, roughly 33x11.5.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

trxxus m/t
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

ABSOLUTLY NOT ON THE WIDE TIRES !!!!!!!!!!
Trust me on this I live in a place where it's winter for 7 months of the year.
You don't want to float. You want to dig down through the snow to the pavement/dirt, snow is slippery, pavement is not.

In sand you want to float because it's some what bottomless, snow has a bottom and that's where you want to be.

The best tire I've had as a DD , and snow and slush tire is the Goodyear Silent Armor, not a good tire for mud but good in dirt and rocks.

The worst tire for slush is the BFG AT, it's a flotation tire and when it hits slush it hydroplanes and gets damn scarry.

Again skinny tires for snow, trust me.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8000ft
ABSOLUTLY NOT ON THE WIDE TIRES !!!!!!!!!!
Trust me on this I live in a place where it's winter for 7 months of the year.
You don't want to float. You want to dig down through the snow to the pavement/dirt, snow is slippery, pavement is not.

In sand you want to float because it's some what bottomless, snow has a bottom and that's where you want to be.

The best tire I've had as a DD , and snow and slush tire is the Goodyear Silent Armor, not a good tire for mud but good in dirt and rocks.

The worst tire for slush is the BFG AT, it's a flotation tire and when it hits slush it hydroplanes and gets damn scarry.

Again skinny tires for snow, trust me.
give it up for the long winter, I broke down and turned the heat on.
Skinny tire, studded even better as the daily driver.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

treadlight does retreads with walnut that makes a decent winter tire. Their largest tire is only 33s but their performance on ice is pretty good.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Goodyear Duratrac's are rated 10/10 in snow.

In Quebec it is law that people have snow tires on in the winter.......these tires meet that standard as they have the "snowflake symbol"

TractiveGroove Technology™ Offers enhanced traction in deep mud and snow
Self-cleaning shoulder blocks Help provide enhanced dirt, gravel and mud traction
Highly angled center tread blocks Help provide enhanced traction and lateral stability while reducing road noise
Mountain Snowflake Symbol Designation for outstanding winter traction
Rim protector Helps protect wheels from accidental curb damage
Pinned for #16 metal studs* Enhanced traction in winter driving conditions
Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Yep, winter's coming. I had to put the windows back in the soft top, 70 deg. durring the day but only 23 deg on the way to work in the morning. I'm refusing to put the hard top on untill I get back from Moab in early Nov. but I'm sure that we'll start getting measurable snow around here by late Oct.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Personally I'm leaning towards the Duratrac's. They look like they might be a bit more aggressive than the BFG's, but I'm also keeping the BFG AT's a close second. I had the AT's on my ZR2 and wheeled in Waiporous with 24" of snow on the trail and was the only one who didn't get stuck all day. Ran those tires for 3 years without any problems! JMO
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stuka
I would advise against a D or E rated tire on a JK. They don't weigh enough to make them wear properly when aired up to where they are supposed to be (50-80psi). Not to mention the horrible ride.

And well, when it comes to snow, a skinnier tire is better for the road. Offroad you want a wider tire for the better floatation. If you are driving through 3+ ft of snow offroad, thats going to require a tire thats not great for the street. As you would really want a 14.50 wide tire with lots of side tread (baja claws work well for this).

So you need to decide what compromises you want to make. Better on-road snow handling, or better offroad snow handling.

50-80 psi !?!?!
I am running nitto mud graps e-ply at 28psi ???

they ride much better then I had expected too and I have rotated them once so far and I cant tell much of a difference in tread at all...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wrangler Duratrack

Quick Reply: Winter Off-road tire