Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winter Off-road tire

Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter Off-road tire

Hi folks.

I'm looking for a tire that I can run throughout the winter that will provide reasonable DD performance, as well as good off-road (deep snow) performance.

I'd like to hear from folks that routinely wheel in deep (Canadian deep) snow, and what tire you've run, and what your results were like.

No, I'm not going to put boggers on
Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a set of Bridgestone Blizzak dm-z3. No complaints with them at all. They stay pretty soft in the deep cold and handle good in the deep snow. I have a sahara with 18" rims, got a new set of 17" in steels. P265/70/17. a slight size change but close enough.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
Hi folks.

I'm looking for a tire that I can run throughout the winter that will provide reasonable DD performance, as well as good off-road (deep snow) performance.

I'd like to hear from folks that routinely wheel in deep (Canadian deep) snow, and what tire you've run, and what your results were like.

No, I'm not going to put boggers on

This tire does not exist in my opinion.....I recommend buying a set of winter tires for daily use and wheel the same aggressive tires in the Winter you would use the rest of the year.
Boggers work great in the snow....sort of suck as a DD in the winter.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Cooper S/T (not the STT) on my Wrangler year around. I have taken it on some "difficult" rated trails, and I get several feet of snow in the winter. I have a driveway that is 100+ yards long, and fairly steep. Last uyear I had to go up it a few times with upwards of 28inches of snow on it. These tires performed awesomely. My landlord with BFG AT's on his TJ (with a locker) got stuck 1/4 of the way up.

As for HWY performance, I have had no issues. They run straight, they are quiet, and have great dry/wet/snow traction.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

2X on the copper S/T's.... I agree with Stuka, they're a darn good all year tire. I run the 255/85/16 which is narrow and better in snow. Plus holes are in already to add studs if you want to.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi

Here in Alaska, last winter I had great results on snow AND ice with my Bridgestone "Revo".....NOT to be mistaken for the stock Bridgestones, they are NOT "Revos"

But this year...as I still have my stock wheels, I am thinking about getting the same tire but not as wide, and getting them studded. Don't know about you in Canada, but after a little while into winter here, the ice never goes away on the highway. That's when studs are the only way fly. Some people tho have great results having their tires "siped". I've never tried it tho as I was told it voids some tire warranties.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing that I forgot to add...

I'm looking for something in a 35X12.5R17, preferably with a "D" or "E" load rating. I need a TOUGH tire...forest service roads are notoriously hard on tires...not to mention what lurks under the three feet of snow that normally sits on the ground in the foothills.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w squared
One more thing that I forgot to add...

I'm looking for something in a 35X12.5R17, preferably with a "D" or "E" load rating. I need a TOUGH tire...forest service roads are notoriously hard on tires...not to mention what lurks under the three feet of snow that normally sits on the ground in the foothills.
I would advise against a D or E rated tire on a JK. They don't weigh enough to make them wear properly when aired up to where they are supposed to be (50-80psi). Not to mention the horrible ride.

And well, when it comes to snow, a skinnier tire is better for the road. Offroad you want a wider tire for the better floatation. If you are driving through 3+ ft of snow offroad, thats going to require a tire thats not great for the street. As you would really want a 14.50 wide tire with lots of side tread (baja claws work well for this).

So you need to decide what compromises you want to make. Better on-road snow handling, or better offroad snow handling.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

deep deep snow, you want your tire to be as wide as possible... You wanna float... but that tire will be the worst on icy roads....
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

If you want an all year tire that works in snow/ice mud and daily driver then I would look no further than a Goodyear Duratrac, they are a winter rated, studdable, very aggresive A/T I have been doing product testing for a local Fountain tire and there is nothing these tires wont grip to. I have them on a 2000 Grande Cherokee thet my wife uses for the her and the kids and her jeep stop and starts on all surfaces with ease. I drove the Alaska Hwy last year during a snow storm and confidently cruised at 90km/hr. I highly recommend this tire for an all purpose daily driver/weekend offroad warrior.

Quick Reply: Winter Off-road tire