Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble at 45 mph

Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wobble at 45 mph

So I have a wobble at 40-45 mph. I've had it for the last two weeks since my last trail run. It's not the tires being unbalance because I just switched today from 35s to 37s and it's more noticeable. It's definetly not bad enough to be death wobble.

Any guesses? I checked all the bolts to the steering underneath and nothing was loose or worn..

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
So I have a wobble at 40-45 mph. I've had it for the last two weeks since my last trail run. It's not the tires being unbalance because I just switched today from 35s to 37s and it's more noticeable. It's definetly not bad enough to be death wobble.

Any guesses? I checked all the bolts to the steering underneath and nothing was loose or worn..

Thanks

My first suggestion would be to check the ball joints, that's a very common cause to shimmy's and small wobbles, I just upgraded to synergy ball joints and my shimmy at around 50 mph went away, by the sound of it I'm assuming you already checked tie rod ends and dragline ends?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK yeti

My first suggestion would be to check the ball joints, that's a very common cause to shimmy's and small wobbles, I just upgraded to synergy ball joints and my shimmy at around 50 mph went away, by the sound of it I'm assuming you already checked tie rod ends and dragline ends?
Hmmm haven't checked those yet. How long before they usually go out? It's a 2012 with 16k miles

Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Junkie

You might have new tires but are they the same rims. I would swap the fronts to the back to rule out a rim being the culprit. If it only happens at a certain speed its usually a tire /rim problem.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy
You might have new tires but are they the same rims. I would swap the fronts to the back to rule out a rim being the culprit. If it only happens at a certain speed its usually a tire /rim problem.
Ill try that as well. I did slam into a rock pretty good that stopped me in my tracks on the last run. Hit the passenger front tire. I was only going no faster than 10mph though

Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same problem recently and my tie rod ends were shot. Fixed and problem solved
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have the exact same issue, after reading this article I think my problem is a bent driveshaft, what do you guys think?

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/re...aft-53546.html
Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55

Hmmm haven't checked those yet. How long before they usually go out? It's a 2012 with 16k miles

Depending on tire size the oem joints can wear out pretty fast, especially if you wheel it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

I had same issue, the bushings on the upper control arms were shot. I replaced them and problem solved
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I cant figure it out. Im starting to think ball joints but still not sure. Gonna take it to a buddies shop to see if he can help.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Wobble at 45 mph