Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Help the newbie please!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help the newbie please!!!

Hey guys! New to the forum and the world of off roading with jeeps so please be patient with some of my stupid a%$ questions! I just purchased my first Jeep Wrangler in Feb and I am hooked now! I love this machine!!! I have not done any modifications yet but ready to order up some stuff for it!!! In the process of making a top hoist with a friend of mine. I am also in the market for a winch and a mounting plate or maybe a whole new bumper and some step bars to block a few of the rocks if possible from beating up my doors and the hinges so badly when I take it off road or just on gravel. I know it will eventually happen but trying to keep it as nice looking as possible since it is my commuter and off road vehicle for now! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't found the FAQ's already, this is a really good place to start browsing:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

For the rest of your questions, well, there is a 'ton' of personal opinion involved in 'what should I get'.

Best suggestion I could give is take a look at any of the online vendors, or any of the 'show me' threads here to look at other peoples JK's to get an idea of what 'you' like. Then do a quick search and see what people are saying about that item. You'll find some great feedback, even if it's not always what you want to hear...

Also check out the JK Write-ups section. This will have tons of info on all the mods people here have done. Anything for the simple and cheap to full lift installs, axle swaps, armor installs, making a lift hoist, any and everything.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-17-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by A.A.RUBICON
Hey guys! New to the forum and the world of off roading with jeeps so please be patient with some of my stupid a%$ questions! I just purchased my first Jeep Wrangler in Feb and I am hooked now! I love this machine!!! I have not done any modifications yet but ready to order up some stuff for it!!! In the process of making a top hoist with a friend of mine. I am also in the market for a winch and a mounting plate or maybe a whole new bumper and some step bars to block a few of the rocks if possible from beating up my doors and the hinges so badly when I take it off road or just on gravel. I know it will eventually happen but trying to keep it as nice looking as possible since it is my commuter and off road vehicle for now! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
The problem (If it really is a problem) is that there are so many different manufacturers for each part your requesting. You should first take a gander into one of the fine sponsors of this site. They have great websites with tons of stuff. If you need an opinion of the item you've decided on, feel free to do a search to see what others have said about it or even post a thread for discussion about the product.

As for a quick responce to your quiry, I'd say go for a complete bumper, a good rock rail and maybe some flaps if you're worried about flying gravel.

Welcome to the website... Enjoy
Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Welcome to JK-Forum.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome to the site! I already have rock rails on my jeep by the way. Forgot to mention that. They told me I could still mount some step bars with the rock rails on it because it does not mount in the same holes into the frame. Not sure but it looks like I can but I read a thread on here that said you can't do both woth out some rigging! Anybody know for sure?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

Welcome to JK-Forum! COngrats on the new Jeep!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Well, it looks like everyone has already given you some sound advice. I guess I will just say welcome and watch out for that toad lady.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by A.A.RUBICON
Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome to the site! I already have rock rails on my jeep by the way. Forgot to mention that. They told me I could still mount some step bars with the rock rails on it because it does not mount in the same holes into the frame. Not sure but it looks like I can but I read a thread on here that said you can't do both woth out some rigging! Anybody know for sure?
I couldn't find anything on it. Start a thread! It could be your first.... If you haven't already.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum!!

Quick Reply: Help the newbie please!!!