Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Jeep Newbie - Need Help!

Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Newbie - Need Help!

Hey everyone! I've been wanting to buy a Jeep FOREVER, and last night, I finally did! I got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. It LOOKS great. Had some upgrades I wanted to do anyhow (3" lift, 35" tires, 9500# winch). The only issue I have is that the steering feels really loose. Every bump I hit seems to throw the Jeep all over the road. Any help? I didn't expect a completely smooth ride, but I actually want to drive the Jeep instead of the Jeep driving me.

Thanks

Last edited by sierrakubiak; 02-07-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Look for posts from Planman pertaining to death wobble. Doesn’t sound like you have DW, that said the information is pertinent about checking torques on your suspension system.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Seizer
Look for posts from Planman pertaining to death wobble. Doesn’t sound like you have DW, that said the information is pertinent about checking torques on your suspension system.
Im not mechanically inclined so I’m guessing I need to take it somewhere for someone to diagnose. The videos are great but I’m over here feeling like a complete idiot trying to understand them lol!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My first thought is low caster, since that is the most common source of what you describe. But "3 inch lift" doesn't really tell us enough to help make a diagnosis...

Drop a post down in the Modified JK Tech section. Include the brand of lift, how much actual measured height you received (3" coils does not necessarily mean you got 3" of lift, could be 2.5, could be upwards of 5) and which specific components are installed. If you had it aligned, post the results. If not, make a few calls. Some shops with throw it on the rack and print the 'before' specs without charging you for the full alignment. Those numbers might also help us narrow it down, but knowing the specific components may be enough.

And if you haven't already found the posts stuck to the top of that Modified tech area, wouldn't hurt to read through Faq's and Thoughts On Lifts when you get a chance.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

I’m taking it for an alignment today. Husband says he thinks the caster isn’t right so we’re trying to get that worked out. He also said something about the toe may be a little bit out...not sure what that means lol. I’m not sure the brand of the lift or the specific components. I bought the Jeep like this and they didn’t have all the details, but I’m going to upgrade the lift in a couple months anyhow so I didn’t really care. Just gotta be able to drive it in the mean time. I’ve definitely got some learning to do. Thanks for the recommended reading!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Caster - there is more to it, but basically this is the angle that the front axle housing sits at. If you look at the pinion sticking out of the backside of the housing (where the driveshaft connects), it will be angled further up after a lift. This automatically lowers the caster, and makes the steering looser/flightier. To increase the caster, and give better, firmer steering, you need to rotate the entire axle housing again, lowering the pinion, which automatically raises the caster. (This can not be adjusted on stock jeep jk's. Some form of aftermarket caster correction must be installed!)

Toe - instead of both front tires being parallel to each other, the fronts of the tires are angled in slightly, and the rears of the tires are angled out slightly. - so the fronts of the tires are closer together than the rears of the front tires. (this can be adjusted with stock components)

Camber - the tops of the tires are closer or farther away than the bottoms of the tires. (not adjustable from the factory)

Anyway, it could be that some form of caster correction came with the lift, and it isn't adjusted properly. But, with a complaint of low caster, that probably means stock control arms, and you are paying the alignment shop for a service they can NOT perform. They can set the Toe, and center steering wheel if that was not done after the install. But one thing to note here is that some shops with take it upon themselves to install Cam Bolts to adjust the caster. You might want to verify that they do not do this, at least until you have time to research the various forms of caster correction and decide what is right for you.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Loose trackbar could give you that feeling too... and if not tightened down correctly, they do work themselves loose.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 331 Posts

What did the alignment find?? Caster could be off due to the lift.. Toe might be off.. Camber should not be off due to a lift.. Plenty of opportunities for component being out of spec .. as stated track bar loose is most common contributor.

Quick Reply: Jeep Newbie - Need Help!