Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member!! New to the jeep world.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member!! New to the jeep world.

I just picked this 2016 up about a week ago with 33k on it. I went from the Volkswagen to subaru and now over the years Ive ended up here!! I'm really enjoying this bad boy since it's a 6 speed! I'm not sure what inches the lift is I know tires are 285/70/17. I am curious if jeeps are a bit sloppy feeling In handling. Took it to a shop to get looked at and I was told everything looked good but the lift is cheap? I'll do some reading up on here but any insight or suggestions would be great!

​​​
Old 04-07-2023, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Welcome, looks great! Stock ball joints on these are suspect after 30,000 miles... buy a good aftermarket ball joint and it will clean up the steering. You should also check the front track bar and tie rod ends.... they steer tight enough when you upgrade a few worn parts!
Old 04-08-2023, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Good looking Ride. Take a look at the shocks for any name branding, also check for any tags on the springs and get the numbers. It is possible the OE put a Spacer lift on to level. BTW my ball joints went well over 50K and that was running 33's & 35's.. Easy to check the ball joints and there are multiple utube videos that show how to check.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to the Forum. Good looking Ride. Take a look at the shocks for any name branding, also check for any tags on the springs and get the numbers. It is possible the OE put a Spacer lift on to level. BTW my ball joints went well over 50K and that was running 33's & 35's.. Easy to check the ball joints and there are multiple utube videos that show how to check.

Thanks you guys! When I took a quick peak they look standard to me, nothing really stood out on the shocks. They looked like stock shocks. I'll get under there after work and take a good peak again. From what I noticed the springs looked pretty standard as in length. 85mph I don't get the death wobble.. But a gust of wind will make my heart drop from shifting the jeep right or left.
I plan up purchasing new lift kit if anyone knows a decent brand that won't kill the pockets lol

One thing I am bummed out about that I didn't really think to check was the ac but checked everything else. It was around 20 degrees here in Ohio. Come to find out It didn't come with any ac lol. Oh well!

Last edited by Blackdew; 04-08-2023 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

OH MY.. No A/C .. Sir you have an almost unicorn (LOL). Yes they could be ordered without a/c. Have not heard of an A/C kit that can be installed; sorry for that note.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

You will have to get creative to put something like Classic Auto Air in where you actually just push a button and get air without worrying about what the TIPM has to say. Contact them and see what they do. You might have to gut out the glovebox behind the lid and install the evaporator and leave the lid in place.
The following users liked this post:
Blackdew (04-08-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk

I'm confused on why these bump stops are so long
Looking around I found this cord in the center of the bay if any knows what the hell this is used for
Old 04-11-2023, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Welcome to JKF. I didn't see anyone mention caster above, but if you have any lift then that would have decreased your caster and affect the quality of steering. Looking at the picture above with the sway bar link and bumpstop, I'm guessing 2-2.5" of lift, but it's just a wild guess based on a picture. I'd imagine the plug is a block heater for cold winter climate.

***oh, and yes, see the spacer puck on top of that front spring now that I took a 2nd look at it. those typically are 2-2.5"
Old 04-11-2023, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Welcome to JKF. I didn't see anyone mention caster above, but if you have any lift then that would have decreased your caster and affect the quality of steering. Looking at the picture above with the sway bar link and bumpstop, I'm guessing 2-2.5" of lift, but it's just a wild guess based on a picture. I'd imagine the plug is a block heater for cold winter climate.

***oh, and yes, see the spacer puck on top of that front spring now that I took a 2nd look at it. those typically are 2-2.5"
I appreciate it! Dumb question but what do you mean by caster? I'm replacing that lift for sure. Any idea why the pervious own would put that long of a bump stop on a 32" wheel running 285/70/17 I don't see it rubbing at all. Looks like a half ass lift

That's weird since I live in Ohio and we don't get weather like that. Unless this wrangler came from Alaska since it has no AC lol
Old 04-11-2023, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

your axle has a fixed relationship between the angle of the C's (caster) and the pinion. That relationship is 6°. With the pinion flat, the C's are slanted back 6°. Your jeep had caster of 4.2° from the factory, meaning the pinion was raised 1.8° (4.2 + 1.8 = 6). When you lift the body of the jeep, the axle will rotate forward which raises the pinion and lowers caster (the C gets closer to being straight up/down). Low caster results in crappy steering. If you have a 2.5" lift and no form of caster correction, I'd guestimate your caster is ~3.2°. Doesn't sound like much difference, but it is. Considering it's just a spacer puck and not much of a true suspension lift, I can only guess there is no caster correction and this is likely playing into your original question if jeeps are just sloppy.

Quick Reply: New member!! New to the jeep world.