Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New owner: help me figure out lift kit / mods

Old 03-04-2023, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner: help me figure out lift kit / mods

Just purchased a 2013 Sahara and am excited to get started spending all my money. It came built up and the previous owner also bought it this way and was not sure what was done to it
. From the picture can you tell how many inch lift was on it? Sits on 35x12.50 20
I do need one new shock and trying to figure out which to buy. They are Bilstein.

it has a cold air intake and surprising pep, how would I tell if it was regeared? Or is there a way?
Old 03-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. Good knowledgeable friendly group here. Looking at the pictures the lift is probably in the 2.5in to 3 inch range. Bilsteins are good shocks, should have model number so you should be able to match the shock.
This is a way to check for Axle Gear Ratio. Must be up on jack stands rear wheel off the ground:
So an easy way to determine your actual gear ratio is to verify, or to see if that ratio has changed, you can jack up the rear axle and support it with jack stands. With the transmission in neutral, rotate the rear driveshaft by hand. Count the number of driveshaft revolutions required for one revolution of the tire. If the driveshaft turns approximately 3-1/2 times to 1, you have a 3.54 ratio, 4.10 to 1 = 4.10 ratio; etc. It is helpful to use a grease pencil or chalk to make a reference point on both the tire and driveshaft while performing this test.

Last edited by Jay2013jk; 03-04-2023 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JustKiddingJK (06-11-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree with all that has been said! I would check ball joints and track bar etc...be sure the dual stablizers were not a bandaid to death wobble. then just start having some fun with it!
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (05-10-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

yup....dual stabilizers are usually a bad sign in general IMO. That looks like ~4" lift to me, but pictures can be deceiving. Google image search "jeep jk factory height" and you'll see a couple pics of factory height measurements in the front and rear and you can measure and compare to determine what actual lift height you're at.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

I am worried about the stabilizers too, I don’t know too much of what they are used for. I normally wouldn’t buy a vehicle this decked out but the price was too good and had a moment of lust. I am having my mechanic look at it I will have him check out the
Ball joints.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

From the factory a SS is just there as the last piece of the puzzle to keep harmony in the steering system. The factory unit is a wimpy little thing, but the truth is for that specific application it is perfect. A SS really shouldn't even be needed if the jeep is in tip top shape. The issue is people add big wheels and tires which puts a ton of stress on the steering system, especially if none of the components have been upgraded. Ball joints are a major issue in these D30/44 axles and the extra mass at the corners usually takes it's toll. What happens is that people wear out joints or have an issue and feel the adverse effects in the steering. First line of thought for most, or first thing a shop tells them, is gotta add a heavy duty SS, or better yet 2!! Well, those just mask issues, they don't resolve them. The flip side is if those are added before an issue, sure they might work great, but when an issue DOES arise, you can't feel the signals the jeep is trying to give to you so you just keep driving and driving and driving until the problem gets worse and worse. Those dual stabilizers are a terrible thing IMO. Not necessarily because of what they are doing to the jeep, but because they are hiding anything that is wrong or could go wrong. They are simply never an answer for anything. I would say the same about the FOX or Falcon ones too.

I suspect maybe a Rough Country lift, but take some pictures of all the components and we can help identify.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Here are some pics off the lift, not sure if you can tell from it or let me know what you need a picture of thanks.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

from the limited photos I would guess it was an AEV kit 3-4". Those Bilstien 5100 shocks have a lifetime warrantee and you may reach out to them to see if they will replace it. Get rid of the wheels, the dual steering stabilizers. I would look into the track bars and maybe do a drag link flip up front if you have 3.5" + of lift.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thank I will reach out to bilstein. I am looking at new wheels, 17 or 18 inch and AT tires work better for me.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, AEV lifts usually have those Bilstein 5100s, but pretty sure their "tuned" Bilsteins have an extra AEV sticker on em. Take some pictures from the front looking straight on so we can see the steering set up (TR, DL, TB, ball joints), and take some pictures of the control arms and where they mount to the axle and frame. In the rear, take a picture further out so we can see the axle and track bar.

Quick Reply: New owner: help me figure out lift kit / mods