Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New user need advice on purchasing jku

Old 06-08-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user need advice on purchasing jku

Howdy

I need some advice on purchasing a JK 4 door. I am looking at a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It has 47,000 miles. Very clean, minor rust and paint peeling on rear shocks. Everything else under her looks good. I got the price down to $31,500. Is this a good deal? Need some advice from the seasoned jeep owners out there.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by KOVA
Howdy

I need some advice on purchasing a JK 4 door. I am looking at a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It has 47,000 miles. Very clean, minor rust and paint peeling on rear shocks. Everything else under her looks good. I got the price down to $31,500. Is this a good deal? Need some advice from the seasoned jeep owners out there.
It's pretty much in stock form, or does it have any mods? How will you be using it, just as an on-road vehicle, or do you plan to get in to off-roading, and if so, what kind? What part of the country are you in (curious as in local market jeep saturation regards). Doesn't seem like a terrible price. I wouldn't worry about rust on the shock itself, but it might make me take really good look at the underbelly just to verify not rust hiding all over. What gear ratio does it have? 3.21 or 3.73 (assuming it hasn't been regeared)?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's pretty much in stock form, or does it have any mods? How will you be using it, just as an on-road vehicle, or do you plan to get in to off-roading, and if so, what kind? What part of the country are you in (curious as in local market jeep saturation regards). Doesn't seem like a terrible price. I wouldn't worry about rust on the shock itself, but it might make me take really good look at the underbelly just to verify not rust hiding all over. What gear ratio does it have? 3.21 or 3.73 (assuming it hasn't been regeared)?
Stock. On and Off Road. Probably nothing too crazy just trails. Living in Michigan so there are sand dunes too. Going to check it out again after work today and will check under it again. Have any places in particular to look for rust? He called and got the price down to $30,600. Couldn't find the gear ratio on the specs. Would they have it under something else?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know what options you want but why not buy a new one? Tyson Chrysler Sherwood IL. Where I bought mine. It was worth the drive to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	788.7 KB
ID:	672380  

Last edited by WhiteKnight115; 06-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Especially used, the dealer probably doesn't even know. If you have the VIN you might be able to pull to original build sheet with options. If you buy it you can easily figure it out. I only highlight it as most people buy one, throw 35s on it, and then realize the deficiency of their gearing. The other thing they don't think about is the axle. That has a D30 with an open carrier up front. There's nothing wrong with that at all, and you can still head off road and be capable, but many people end up in this situation and then want gearing and lockers cuz they got more in to offroading than they thought, and are now in the "do I put money in to this axle and build it up, or buy a $4500 aftermarket axle?". Sometimes you don't know what you don't know yet......but these are things to think about. You can really head down the rabbit hole reading about that stuff.

In general, that price doesn't sound too bad.

I have a 2013 myself. Not much difference between that and 2017's. In 2015 they replaced the "tombstone" speakers on top of the dash with a flat speaker that seems nicer, but other than that, same jeep. My 2013 had a recall on a auto transmission line, and one for the electric mirrors on the door which I never did. Been a great rig for me.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Especially used, the dealer probably doesn't even know. If you have the VIN you might be able to pull to original build sheet with options. If you buy it you can easily figure it out. I only highlight it as most people buy one, throw 35s on it, and then realize the deficiency of their gearing. The other thing they don't think about is the axle. That has a D30 with an open carrier up front. There's nothing wrong with that at all, and you can still head off road and be capable, but many people end up in this situation and then want gearing and lockers cuz they got more in to offroading than they thought, and are now in the "do I put money in to this axle and build it up, or buy a $4500 aftermarket axle?". Sometimes you don't know what you don't know yet......but these are things to think about. You can really head down the rabbit hole reading about that stuff.

I have a 2013 myself. Not much difference between that and 2017's. In 2015 they replaced the "tombstone" speakers on top of the dash with a flat speaker that seems nicer, but other than that, same jeep. My 2013 had a recall on a auto transmission line, and one for the electric mirrors on the door which I never did. Been a great rig for me.

Alright thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I make out!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

There it is!

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	672484
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	672483  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by KOVA
There it is!

Attachment 672484
Congrats!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Welcome!

Welcome aboard!
Here are some tips to get you started

10 Best Tips For a New Jeep Owner
If you need anything please let us know! We are here for you.
Feel Free to check out our page>>

Morris 4x4

Quick Reply: New user need advice on purchasing jku