Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Suspension Question

Old 12-14-2018, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Suspension Question

I have a pretty much stock (aside from mud tires that were on the care when I became the owner) 2008 2D Sahara. I am looking to put an aftermarket suspension system (not sure if that is the right term) on the jeep but i would like to keep it at the same height. I don't need anything to crazy, essentially something that would be a step above stock. What would you suggest?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats on the new ride!!
If you want to retain ride height and upgrade the ride quality, I would suggest swapping in some aftermarket shocks (FOX / Bilstein).
Keep in mind, the Jeep has two solid axles that are going to have a rougher ride than if you had independent suspension.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What's your motivation for an aftermarket suspension? What are your plans for the use of your jeep? I recommend you read the link below as it's a good start for understanding your suspension. If you're only doing light trails and daily driving it, I'd say stick with what you have or perhaps upgrade the shocks (even that's arguable though).

Read this > https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you, Chief! Is there any particular series or product type i should pay attention to?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

I would be doing light trails and daily highway commuting. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because i think the stock shocks needs to be replaced anyway so why not go one step up.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Read that link I posted. I think you'd be better with shocks and keep the rest the same.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

IT would be a simple waste of money to swap out your suspenison and not gain any height. Shocks may help or may not as ride quality is subjective. You might look at a HD tie rod and track bars but you really don't need them. Tires will something to look at. Many people put the wrong type of tire on a jeep and the ride will suffer from it. A daily driver that does mild trails is better off with an AT tire like the KM3 or Duratrac vs a mud terrain. Also check the weight rating on the tire as you want a C rated tire not an E rated as the E rated tires run stiff and are heavier.

There are lots of shocks out there and really no way to try them out to see if you like them unless you are willing to spend big money on shocks that can be re valved and have adjusters on them. For your use I dont see spending that kind of money but maybe you have no issues spending $1000+ on shocks. You can read thru threads and some people will complain the 5100 shock is too stiff and others say they are too soft.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

@jedg - Yeah, it seems like suspension was the wrong term after reading that post you suggested. I think i am just looking for shocks. I generally like to keep things stock as I like the basic look and don't need to be 28' in the air when I drive haha.

@TheDirtman - The Jeep already has mud tires on it - i am not sure what they are as they were on the car when i received it.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Tire info can be found on your sidewall.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah... another thought is those mud tires... if you're just doing light trails, look at an AT (KO2, AT/3W, Duratrac, pick your poison) with a load rating of C. (D is heavier sidewall and E is even heavier.. with each making the tire more and more harsh riding).

Quick Reply: Suspension Question