Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Need Trail/Camping Advice in Central/North Cali Please!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Trail/Camping Advice in Central/North Cali Please!

I am new to Jeeping and live in Monterey. I'd like to take some 3-4 day outings in some nice foresty/remote trails. I'd like to camp 2-3 nights in a tent with a fire (in a fire pit, not the tent). Ideally I'd like a nice relatively easy trail (to minimize risk if I'm alone) that is really remote/secluded. I'm looking to get some wildlife photo ops and just relax.

Does anyone know of such an area? I've read about some off-highway trails around Tahoe but the campsites seem to be the large/populated kind (from the little I've read).

I've browsed around and I've seen the many group events (which I do plan on attending), but I'm also looking for a nice secluded area I can escape to every once-in-a-while..

All advice appreciated!

~jk
Old 12-24-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Try around the Shaver Lake area ...there are alot of trails between shaver lake and Huntington Lake....look up swamp lake trail , red lake, coyote, bald mtn is one of my favs but it only takes a few hours or so , but great for the beginner. Hell there are about 16 different lakes up in the mtns above shaver lake...i'll try and find you a good website for the area..but I try to go quite often in the summer time 4 wheeling...most trails are open from april to november
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the good info! I was JUST reading about Bald Mt. Trails.com has a writup on that area. Looks like plenty of trails over there. It mentioned that Bald Mt. was also good for beginners with one tough hill right at the start (25 degree grade).. Ok, now I just need a tent, sleeping bag, bear repellant and a Jeep. Hehe. Jeep should come next week though..
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07crawler
Try around the Shaver Lake area ...there are alot of trails between shaver lake and Huntington Lake....look up swamp lake trail , red lake, coyote, bald mtn is one of my favs but it only takes a few hours or so , but great for the beginner. Hell there are about 16 different lakes up in the mtns above shaver lake...i'll try and find you a good website for the area..but I try to go quite often in the summer time 4 wheeling...most trails are open from april to november
x2

Red and Coyote Lakes are nice. But you don't want to go solo as beginner in a stock rig.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at Miami Trail. 26 Miles long. Trails.com (taken from Back Country Adventures book) gave it a 3 in difficulty, a 9 in scenery and a +1 in remoteness.. Looks like there's a few campsites along it..
Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

It is gonna be hard to find one in the winter time. And most forest service often will not issue fire permit for camp fires during the dry season.

And be sure to check with the local forest service for their rules.

Example of the Rubicon Trail.

By Court Order (due to a lawsuit filed in 2005 against the USDA Forest Service), all vehicles must remain within 25 feet of centerline of the Rubicon Trail -- a non-maintained county road.

In other words, the USFS property on both sides of the Rubicon Trail are temporarily closed to vehicles. You must keep your vehicle within the county easement (50 feet total). Signs are up but are not always reliable. FOTR and county Sheriff personnel try to keep the signage current, but you can't count on it. You must know where the trail is.

IMPORTANT: the trail is only physically 8 to 10 feet wide; but the easement is 50 feet. This means there's some room to pull over here and there to let folks by, but it does NOT mean a free-for-all in that 50 feet of easement. Do not drive over vegetation or drive where vehicles have not gone. Stay on the well worn trail.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I won't be going out any time soon. A few of the trails I'm looking at (like Miami Trail) open in April or May... I don't see how there would be much fire risk now, though.. It's been raining here for 2 weeks straight.. I'm guessing Central/East CA has been pretty dry so far?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkmonterey
I won't be going out any time soon. A few of the trails I'm looking at (like Miami Trail) open in April or May... I don't see how there would be much fire risk now, though.. It's been raining here for 2 weeks straight.. I'm guessing Central/East CA has been pretty dry so far?
Bald Mtn is open ALL YEAR LONG (if you got the rig to get there)...I do at least 1 snow adventure a year..last year I did about 6....unfortunatly I only got so far with my stock rubi..can't wait for 35' or 37's and a 3" lift...then..snow...no problem..it usually has AT LEAST 3 - 4 feet of snow about now..but alot of people still go up and have a great time.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd definately like to get some snow time! I lived in Michigan for (more/less) 30 years and snow is the one thing I miss most now that I'm out here... I won't be heading for any 4 ft. drifts, though!! Honestly, my first priority (prime directive) is to not @#$% up my Jeep (visibly or functionally). I don't mind scrapes and dents and such to the bottom, just don't want to be ripping fenders off or jabbing rocks through the doors!! I just won't be camping in snow :o

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 12-25-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkmonterey
I'd definately like to get some snow time! I lived in Michigan for (more/less) 30 years and snow is the one thing I miss most now that I'm out here... I won't be heading for any 4 ft. drifts, though!! Honestly, my first priority (prime directive) is to not @#$% up my Jeep (visibly or functionally). I don't mind scrapes and dents and such to the bottom, just don't want to be ripping fenders off or jabbing rocks through the doors!!
I have an 07 rubi..the only thing that is messed up on it is my front bumper (ok a couple scrapes on the rims) I have since cut the front bumper to a stubby ( nothing like the ones I see on here) just a straight cut no mending done...other than that..VERY minor scratches on the passenger door...

Quick Reply: Need Trail/Camping Advice in Central/North Cali Please!