Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Regearing Shops in Bay Area

Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All done. Had Shaffers Offroad do it. 4.88 gears, new carrier and spider gears in the front plus Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear. Just under $1600 out the door. Way way different driving going from the 3.21 to 4.88! Keep in mind I have a manual. Now getting used to it after driving it for 2 days. Love the fact that my highway mileage improved 3 mpg since it stays in the sweet spot now. Wonderful in the hills and crawls right along in 4Lo. Looking forward to our next run in Hollister.

2013 Wrangler Sport; 35x12.5R15 Goodyear MTR's; 18/60 Rubicon springs & shocks; Lots of trimming
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JurassicJeep
All done. Had Shaffers Offroad do it. 4.88 gears, new carrier and spider gears in the front plus Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear. Just under $1600 out the door. Way way different driving going from the 3.21 to 4.88! Keep in mind I have a manual. Now getting used to it after driving it for 2 days. Love the fact that my highway mileage improved 3 mpg since it stays in the sweet spot now. Wonderful in the hills and crawls right along in 4Lo. Looking forward to our next run in Hollister.

2013 Wrangler Sport; 35x12.5R15 Goodyear MTR's; 18/60 Rubicon springs & shocks; Lots of trimming
There is a run today...meeting at 1015 ranger station
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blacked2013
There is a run today...meeting at 1015 ranger station
Ah shoot. Flying out in a couple hours.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Enough time...lol...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had my gears done at Shaffer's. Mike has been great despite the delivery screw-up which cause a delay in getting my Jeep back. And after a week i spotted the axle leaking at the steering knuckle.

Mike, brought my Jeep to me because of the delay and as soon as I told him about the leak he said to bring it in and he would take care of it.

Yes, the issues that came up suck, but in the real world things happen. I learn more about a business by how they respond to problems than I do when everything goes smoothly.

And the little bit I have driven it, I love the performance of my 5.13s. On road only so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm guessing you have after market diff covers w the fill hole higher.than stock. Same thing happened to me (different shop) they overfilled the diff by a quart because they thought that you should fill it all the way to.the.fill hole. A buddy had it happen to him at Schaffer as well and caused a leak in an axle seal but Schaffer made good on it and replaced the leaky seal.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my 5.13s done at shaffers as well. I am very happy with everything, and no problems almost 700 miles after the install. I have the stock diff covers still. Is there an issue with overfilling with different covers or something? I plan on buying the riddler covers with the higher fill hole. Just wondering if i will find an issue when i install and re fill the diffs. I heard that if you fill to high that just the excess will come out the breather tubes.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you overfill, yes it will come out of your breather hose but it can also blow out your axle seals and ruin the seals.

The required amount of fluid doesn't change just because the fill hole is higher on the cover. I believe it's around 1.7 quarts for the rear but you should verify that as I'm only going from memory. I had like 2.7 quarts in mine after my gear change, and after I finished heat cycling the gears and drove it more, it started to leak out of the seals. Fortunately we changed the fluid quickly and the seals were fine, but my friend wasn't so lucky.

Quick Reply: Regearing Shops in Bay Area