Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska

Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New shot taken in Yosemite National Park back in June 2012
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2024645603.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	407697  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a beautiful pic! Sweet rig too!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by catahoula
What a beautiful pic! Sweet rig too!
Thanks Catahoula! As a Professional Nature & Wildlife Photographer, I've been on photo shoots all over Alaska, as well as other places throughout North America. However this was the first time shooting in Yosemite National Park. I'm convinced this is one of the most beautiful national parks on earth. Thank you for the complement regarding my image & JK. This rig gets me back in the back country so I can photograph for a living.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Love the Pics

One of my hobbies is taking pictures. Just wondering what camera(s) you use?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkt2g12
One of my hobbies is taking pictures. Just wondering what camera(s) you use?
Hi dkt2g12, what I use is Canon bodies along with the L-Series lenses. How about you?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

damn if only i had 1/4 of that talent !
love photography....we shoot w/ an older d70 (still miss film/N90)...im stuck w/ the nikon stuff (small investment compared to yours im sure).

im looking to upgrade (the d70 was a gift for my wife several years ago....just bought her a 70-300 vr lens & the sb700 flash....
i shoot some cars at a race the other weekend and it was all i could do to steady that 70-300 on a (manfrotto) monopod.

i really like the large body stuff (d 600/700/800), even the d7000 - but it doesnt fit everyones hand as well (namely my tiny wife).

so DALLASC are you independent/freelance ? who have you shot for ? where has your stuff been published ?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot
damn if only i had 1/4 of that talent !
love photography....we shoot w/ an older d70 (still miss film/N90)...im stuck w/ the nikon stuff (small investment compared to yours im sure).

im looking to upgrade (the d70 was a gift for my wife several years ago....just bought her a 70-300 vr lens & the sb700 flash....
i shoot some cars at a race the other weekend and it was all i could do to steady that 70-300 on a (manfrotto) monopod.

i really like the large body stuff (d 600/700/800), even the d7000 - but it doesnt fit everyones hand as well (namely my tiny wife).

so DALLASC are you independent/freelance ? who have you shot for ? where has your stuff been published ?
Hi bushpilot, as far as having a 1/4 of the talent, thanks for the complement. However the bottom line, if you were standing next to me in some of the places I've photographed, you would think you were a National Geographic Photographer by the results you'd see in your own photographs. I've photographed brown bears in Katmai National Park, Alaska, 10-15 feet away. Bears that weigh 1,200 to 1,500lbs, standing 10 feet tall. The results even using a point & shoot camera would be overwhelming at that distance. By the way, I'm always looking for someone to go along with me on my bear shoots. The only requirement is that you run slower than me. Anyways, I'd like to take all the credit but location certainly has helped.

As far as equipment, it's not as important on what you shoot with, but rather the person behind the camera that really truly counts. We all know good equipment is vital, but do we have to have the latest and greatest equipment to achieve the best results. I've seen award winning shots from people who only had a point & shoot camera. You can have the most expensive equipment money can buy and not have a true artistic eye for photography. Not sure where I'm going with this but just food for thought!

As for me, I am an independent/freelance shooter. Also I do wildlife seminars for outdoor shows, and my work is in retail stores as well. I've had my work published in Log Home Magazines, and I've had the privilege of working with National Geographic Writer & Photographer David F Cupp. David was a close friend and has been an inspiration in my work today. Years ago, David was runner up for a Pulitzer Prize for his work on NASA's Voyager spacecraft. Sadly, back in the spring of 2012 he passed away. He will be missed!

By the way, are you a bushpilot? When I'm shooting in Alaska I often use the services of a bush pilot. Just wondering!

Last edited by dallasc; 01-18-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tails
All that stuff about taking his fish made me think of this ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0apHTUwmL4
that commercial cracks me up everything

Quick Reply: While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska