Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While photographing two summers ago in Yellowstone National Park, I ran across this angry bear that must of had a bad day. You can tell by his expression he wasn't happy at all. Needless to say, for health reasons (My health) I kept my distance while photographing him. Thank goodness for long lenses!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684 copy.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	152102  
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi

Great shot........and yes, he does not look happy at all. Being in Yellowstone he had probably had it up to here with people, and looks like he's about ready to rip somebody a new one......lol

Last edited by AK4Dave; 04-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I'm out photographing nature & wildlife, this is what I use to locate critters in the wilds to photograph. From time to time I'll use the sleeper as a platform to shoot from. However the best advantage point is always shooting at eye level. The two pics attached are from a recent photo shoot in Maine. What are your favorite places to photograph?

Name:	ForumRunner_20111024_082301.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	227667   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111024_082449.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	227669  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dallasc
When I'm out photographing nature & wildlife, this is what I use to locate critters in the wilds to photograph. From time to time I'll use the sleeper as a platform to shoot from. However the best advantage point is always shooting at eye level. The two pics attached are from a recent photo shoot in Maine. What are your favorite places to photograph?
How convenient... for the bear! He can snatch that thing off the top of the Jeep and eat you without getting his fingers messy!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by blw
How convenient... for the bear! He can snatch that thing off the top of the Jeep and eat you without getting his fingers messy!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Well I used to have a S&W 629 SS in 44 mag but I sold it awhile back. I just now replaced it with a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt w/ 4" barrel. Reason being is that it can handle the heavy loads. That means it's a bigger slug hitting harder than the 44 mag. Buffalo Bore loads w/ 325 grn. slug at 1325 fps. I was considering the 454 Casull but it was a bit out of my price range and the damn thing kicks like a mule. I can also enjoy shooting cowboy rounds in 45 Colt all day long.

I had this same S&W Mountain Gun several years ago and it kicked the hell out of anyone shooting it...I LOVED it! Wish I could find another one at a decent price. I have to agree that a .44 mag is about the smallest I would go for a sidearm in those conditions.

Of course here in Louisiana we don't see too many grizzlies LOL. We do have small black bears but they are rarely seen.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

I've never seen a set up like that before... intresting
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK jeepin

I've never seen a set up like that before... intresting
Hi JK-jeepin, If you go to autohome.com you'll receive more info on what I'm using. What I have is called the Maggiolina and is made in Italy. Only weights around 88lbs. and extremely aerodynamic. In fact you hardly even know is up on top. Here is an image of it down.

Name:	ForumRunner_20111128_232735.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	243312  

Last edited by dallasc; 11-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi JK-jeepin, If you go to autohome.com you'll receive more info on what I'm using. What I have is called the Maggiolina and is made in Italy. Only weights around 88lbs. and extremely aerodynamic. In fact you hardly even know is up on top. Here is an image of it down.
I've been considering that rooftop tent for a while now. What rack system do you have?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScubaDude

I've been considering that rooftop tent for a while now. What rack system do you have?
Hi ScubaDude,

The roof rack I have is made outside of Denver, Colorado by Gobi Racks. No drilling required was one of the big factors why I decided on Gobi. Plus it holds a lot of weight and hinges back so you can raise and lower your soft top.

Quick Reply: While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska