Notices
Silver State If you live in Nevada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Nevada Vehicle Code Violations

Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and foremost.... I have 2 rules of thumb

1. If you are driving down the street like a bat out of hell, or have passengers standing up with the top down, or yelling at passer-bys and honking the horn, or blaring your music and revving the engine, you are going to bring attention to yourself. AND when you do that, in front of a bored cop, he most likely will stop you, and write you whatever crap ticket he or she can come up with. ESPECIALLY if that cop works in Traffic. Once you gain the attention of a traffic cop, he will surely write you for everything under the sun, just because he can....

2. Theres a difference between what is illegal, and what you will actually get stopped and ticketed for.. ill try to give both as often as i can... SO DO AT YOUR OWN RISK... I cannot guarantee what you will and won't get a ticket for, but i will tell you what is the norm and what is legal/illegal..

SO.....As far as license plates go, they just have to be visible and easy to read from 100 feet back, and have to be illuminated at night..You can bend it around the corner or tilt it to the side, just as long as a cop can read it. The law actually has exact measurements on how high off the ground it has to be, but you'll never get messed with for that. The law also says you cannot cover the plate with ANYTHING. to include the clear plastic covers for plates..

With HID lights there is no real rule, but you cannot have more than 4 lights on the front, in operation (that means on) at the same time. The headlights have to be white, a slight blue tint or yellow tint will be fine as well. But nothing crazy like green or red, and definitely nothing that flashes.

As soon as i can i will start listing everything i can think of pertaining to our Rigs... so bear with me!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Default License Plates

NRS 482.275 License plates: Display.
1. The license plates for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor vehicle being transported by a licensed vehicle transporter must be attached thereto, one in the rear and, except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, one in the front. The license plate issued for all other vehicles required to be registered must be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plates must be so displayed during the current calendar year or registration period.
2. If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and
(b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.
3. The provisions of subsection 2 do not relieve the Department of the duty to issue a set of two license plates as otherwise required pursuant to NRS 482.265 or other applicable law and do not entitle the owner of a motor vehicle to pay a reduced tax or fee in connection with the registration or transfer of the motor vehicle. If the owner of a motor vehicle, in accordance with the provisions of subsection 2, exercises the option to attach a license plate only to the rear of the motor vehicle, the owner shall:
(a) Retain the other license plate; and
(b) Insofar as it may be practicable, return or surrender both plates to the Department as a set when required by law to do so.
4. Every license plate must at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and must be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.
5. Any license plate which is issued to a vehicle transporter or a dealer, rebuilder or manufacturer may be attached to a vehicle owned or controlled by that person by a secure means. No license plate may be displayed loosely in the window or by any other unsecured method in any motor vehicle.

Edit: I deleted a statute that addressed how plates must be designed.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

Default Vehicle Height

NRS 484D.610 Height of vehicle: Maximum ground clearance; exceptions.
1. A motor vehicle must not be operated on any highway of this State if the lowest portion of its body, as measured from the surface on which the vehicle stands, exceeds, for passenger cars, 24 inches, and for a truck or other motor vehicle having manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating:
(a) Of 4,500 pounds or less, 28 inches.
(b) Of more than 4,500 pounds but less than 7,501 pounds, 30 inches.
(c) Of 7,501 pounds but less than 10,001 pounds, 32 inches.
2. The measurement taken to determine compliance with this section must be taken from level ground to a portion of the body or parts attached to the body which have not been added or altered from the manufacturer’s original body design.
3. This section does not apply to a motor vehicle which:
(a) Was manufactured before 1935; or
(b) Has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi

Default Windshield Decals and Tint

NRS 484D.435 Windshield and windows must be unobstructed.
1. A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
2. This section shall not apply to any sign, poster or other material displayed in the 6-inch square area of the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or to any other material required to be displayed on a windshield or window by federal or state law.

NRS 484D.440 Restrictions on tinting of windshield or side or rear window.
1. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, “light transmission” means the ratio of the amount of light which is allowed to pass through a product or material to the amount of light which falls on it.
2. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 3, 4 and 5 a person shall not:
(a) Place, install, affix or apply upon the windshield or any side or rear window of a motor vehicle which is required to be registered in this State; or
(b) Operate on any highway a motor vehicle required to be registered in this State on which there has been placed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or any side or rear window of the motor vehicle,
 any transparent material which alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or side or rear window.
3. The prohibition set forth in subsection 2 does not apply to:
(a) A window that is to the immediate right or left of the driver if the window is:
(1) Nonreflective; and
(2) Has a total light transmission through the combination, if any, of transparent material and safety glazing of not less than 35 percent with a tolerance of 7 percent.
(b) A side window that is to the rear of the driver, or a rear window, if the vehicle has outside mirrors on each side that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of not less than 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
(c) Any transparent material that is installed, affixed or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if:
(1) The bottom edge of the material is not less than 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface; and
(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi

Default Auxillary Lighting

NRS 484D.180 Spot lamps, auxiliary lamps and lamps for fog.
1. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror or occupant of a vehicle in use.
2. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484D.210 apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
3. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484D.210 apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary passing lamps.
4. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Such lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as provided in NRS 484D.210.

NRS 484D.220 Number and intensity of lamps on front of vehicle.
1. At all times specified in NRS 484D.100, a lighted headlamp or headlamps meeting the requirements of NRS 484D.110 shall be displayed on a motor vehicle except when the vehicle is parked.
2. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps, spot lamp or any other lamp on the front projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candle power, not more than a total of four of any such lamps may be lighted at one time when upon a highway.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Jedi

Default Disclaimer

Sorry for the long posts, but I thought it would be helpful to provide some of the applicable statutes (keep in mind these are only some of the codes/statutes.) If anyone has specific questions, the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles website provides direct links to Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) and to Nevada Administrative Code (NAC), both of which have provisions specifically relating to motor vehicles.

...and listen to Soopurman0, he is going to know how this stuff gets enforced on the streets.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 PM
JK Jedi

I have a question.... Rock lights. many times we do nite runs and forget to turn them off. Is that a ticket?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I have a question.... Rock lights. many times we do nite runs and forget to turn them off. Is that a ticket?
It can be yes.. the problem is that its such an unusual place that it draws attention to yourself. The law actually allows the cop ( on top of writing a ticket) to "destroy or cause to be destroyed" which meant kick them out, however my dept frowns on that now. bottom line is, even if you got a ticket, its a fix it ticket. All you have to do is have a cop sign the ticket showing it has been fixed, and you're all set.

With 4x4 rigs, you'll probably slide without a ticket, with a simple explanation of what they are and whey they are on. The law is enforced with the lowered "rice burner" street racers that have all sorts of rainbow colored lights illuminating their non existent undercarriages.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Soopurman0
It can be yes.. the problem is that its such an unusual place that it draws attention to yourself. The law actually allows the cop ( on top of writing a ticket) to "destroy or cause to be destroyed" which meant kick them out, however my dept frowns on that now. bottom line is, even if you got a ticket, its a fix it ticket. All you have to do is have a cop sign the ticket showing it has been fixed, and you're all set.

With 4x4 rigs, you'll probably slide without a ticket, with a simple explanation of what they are and whey they are on. The law is enforced with the lowered "rice burner" street racers that have all sorts of rainbow colored lights illuminating their non existent undercarriages.
Ok good to know. There has been a few times I have remembered on the road or told someone else on the CB to turn them off. Ok need to be more diligent on remembering. Thanks Dave
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Question about fenders

Soopurman0 I was wondering how far out can my tires stick out from below my fenders. i have installed Full lenght D60's on my jeep and lets just say that if i run over some water or mud on the road it easily covers the jeep. thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Nevada Vehicle Code Violations