Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

3rd Annual Rubicon Trip,with SoCal

Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomslik
I'm sure we'll be avoiding the National 9 in Placerville, right!? Haha, that was an experience of its own last year! I'd love to see the old classic side of town again, just not the neighborhood at the other end of town!
Hey at least they let me check you in with out you there!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harve22
I know that this thing is still 4 months away and everyone is focusing on EJS happening in between now and then (which I can't go to) but damn I'm psyched! I also think that Angel is tired of hearing me talk about it and I know she is tired of me spending money on it!

Just pulled the trigger on upgrading to a set of 35X12.5.17 Goodyear MT/R Kevlars, TEN Factory Front and Rear Chromoly Axle Kit, Front Axle Tube Sleeves, New Inner Axle seals, Front Knuckle Gussets, Flexarm Skids, Adams Front and Rear 1310 Driveshafts, Teraflex 3" Suspension System (with Fox Shocks, front lower and rear upper flexarms), and a Teraflex Front Adjustable Trackbar. Basically I spent a huge chunk of my children’s inheritance.

So now I need all of those Rubicon Trail veterans to start spoon feeding me info on what else I need to think about, i.e. spares (the above upgrades will give me spare axles, drive shafts, and track bar to take), fluids, tools, camping gear, clothing, weather, etc…
SLIDERS... very good SLIDERS...you will use them.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OVRNUNDR
SLIDERS... very good SLIDERS...you will use them.
Still running my Rubi Rock rails with ACE Sliders...hope that's enough.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Harve22: forget the Jeep, it sounds ready to go. Bring armor for yourself: mosquito repellant!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
You will scrap with 35's but you won't do harm unless you have one of those fancy 3.6 motors and the spaghetti exhausts then you'll need protection
Dammit! I just might need a curly exhaust skid.

Definitely need oil pan & tranny skid to keep my "fancy motor" looking pretty.... And TC skid... aaaand well there goes my annual bonus.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How likely is it that I will break a stock axle with my 35" tires on the Rubicon?
I have 1310 drive shafts and spare u-joints. Hoping that is my weak spot as is it fairly easy to replace.

Also, do you anticipate any driving at night?

What do you guys do with your doors? Go doorless for entire trip?

Just curious if I need to get any upgrades before the trip.

Thanks.

Last edited by bbrown626; 03-09-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87%.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it safe to assume we also share our spare parts when we can? If someone needs a rear axle shaft, I'd gladly offer my spare to keep the party moving. Seems silly to take a trip into town if someone in the group already has a part we need, right?

-Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbrown626
How likely is it that I will break a stock axle with my 35" tires on the Rubicon?
I have 1310 drive shafts and spare u-joints. Hoping that is my weak spot as is it fairly easy to replace.

Thanks.
It all depends on how you drive, the trail is really only tough in a few places. The county got carried away with the use of Dynamite.

Try to be prepared for as much as you can, night and day driving, you never know.

Normally we go with no doors, we usually split a hotel room to keep them in.

Gussets and sleeves, or truss are not bad things to have. Upgraded Axle shafts (Chromolly), would not be a bad idea. Oil pan protection, and good frame mounted sliders are advisable.

Most of us bring a fair number of spare parts, tools, spill kits.

The most important thing you can really do is make sure all of your maintenance is done as well a visual inspection of everything.

Last edited by OVRNUNDR; 03-11-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbrown626

Thanks.
There's really no way to know for sure, but a lot will depend on how aggressive (or not) you wheel, and which lines you take (easy vs. hard). On one of our Rubicon runs last Summer, we had an LJ open/open on 31's. Yes, he beat the crap out of it, and he was slow at times, but he was a very good driver and he made it through without major problems. On other runs, my JK on 43's, with every possible upgrade you can think of, has busted a front axle, a rear drive shaft, broken beads, etc., etc.

I'd be fine running with a JK on 35's, but if it is your first time on the Rubicon, then stay light on the skinny pedal, and take the easier lines. Upgrading your Jeep is great if you can afford to, but you don't have to go bankrupt in the process. Spare parts, spare fluids are great, so do what you can within your budget, but be prepared to share, as others will do with you!

Quick Reply: 3rd Annual Rubicon Trip,with SoCal